Monday, June 17, 2019

Who's There

What is behind Door Number 2211 on this Monday morning, June 17th?
Once again, a completely different person than yesterday.  No pain meds for 17 hours.  So, I was right, despite them cleaving his breast bone in two, this was not the problem.  How is it possible that it wouldn't be a problem?  It would not be possible if it were me, but  for the man of a multiplicity of kidney stones and costochronditis,  a walk in the park. That lovely drain pressing on a nerve was the culprit.  We had a restless night. Not because of pain, but sleep apnea, a repeatedly occluded IV line, restroom trips etc. That's okay. When he is talkative, wide awake and hungry,  not gasping for air, even though it is only 4:00 am, I feel refreshed.
Bless his heart, he said, "My leg is hurting this morning."  Really, the one that is black and blue from the entire length of your thigh, that one.  I gently replied, "Honey, that leg has been hurt all week, it just couldn't be  heard over the rib nerve." Next observation, "My legs get shaky when I walk."  Ya think.  Poor guy sure has very high expectations of himself.
This morning the nausea is much improved, he's fiesty, pleasant, no longer sleepy,  and wants to eat, "Boil me an egg." Yes sir, I'll happily get right on that. I'll boil you a dozen.
  Hello again, this man I know. Perhaps we've seen the last time you slip away into pain or sick.  What a happy thought!  Thank the Lord.
So, I'm off to peel some eggs, and hurry back because the Crown Prince kidney doctor sees him for the first time today and I'm so looking forward to just a clear and pleasing conversation.

1 comment: