Friday, June 14, 2019

Boing, Boing, Boing

That would be the Handy Man and me.
I think you could about wipe up the floor with me.  Another day of two steps forward, three steps back, two steps forward, umm, now where are we - even, forward, back.
As the time approached to remove the balloon pump, Handy Man again had a bad break in pain coverage that sent his blood pressure soaring and cancelled plans for balloon removal until they could get it down.
They did, removed the tube along, with two drains.  Lost a lot of blood from one of the drains, so his platelets are low.
He was again, completely spent.
The good news, I got to move in with him and both of us got an actual part of an hour of uninterrupted  rest.  Might have gone on a bit longer, but I pressed my foot against something that woke me up feeling like someone had amputated a toe.  Turns out, just a smooshed cuticle.  But it was nice. Umm, not the smooshing, the resting in the room with him.
Since we were now a few hours out of the removal of the helping balloon pump with  no deleterious effect, I much too quickly heaved a huge sigh of relief.  Then he went into afib and his blood pressure plummeted.  They assured me this was normal, annoyed hearts do such things.  The rate at which everyone was flying around didn't really make me think it was too normal.  I confuse things, to me this can't be "normal", and not normal translates to dangerous and awful in my book.  Perhaps "normal" in their book, still means dangerous and you better fix it quick, but no great surprise.   So in a thrice, blood pressure down.  He was resting again and Aunt Tish was there with supper, so I went out to not disturb him, when he gets a chance to not be disturbed.  While I was gone his bp went down again, so now a few more meds added back to the heart support line up. 
Though the heart pump is gone, and he wore a cuff at the entry sight to smash on it for two hours, he still can't sit up or move that leg until 1:00 in the morning.  The goal had been to have him sitting up by evening, but it will now wait for tomorrow.
Besides IV type stuff, we're down to one drain.
He's had a couple of other things crop up like hot flashes and the shakes.  Those things don't concern them much, but they are surely a pain to the patient.
This was  like a big feast day. Rae brought warm homemade sourdough bread and fresh pesto (is there anything better), Deb brought a yummy lunch and Aunt Tish provided a summer picnic with a real plate and a real fork to serve a tomato tart, roasted broccoli, cucumbers and peach cobbler- so many warm and delicious flavors.  Perhaps it was salted with a few tears, but that didn't change the goodness of the food and the effort.
For the first time, we have the same nurse twice in a row.  Handy Man likes him. It so nice for someone to walk in knowing exactly what is going on.  They managed a mostly uneventful night last night- my favorite kind, here's to a repeat!
So appreciative of our medical people outside of his room who keep encouraging me that all is well.
Thankful for the all the visitors today as I was kicked out for a long time to do all that pulling of this and that.  It surely helps the time to go by more quickly with a friend.
I hope prayers continue, he still needs them. As you can imagine, he is weary.
Ceece's Mom has a few other things than pneumonia and can use those prayers as well.

2 comments: