Wednesday, June 12, 2019

What a Day

Good Evening,
Just running in to take care of a few things and heading back to the hospital.
Once surgery was underway, it only took three hours, but apparently it was still a very big deal.
The surgeon came out and said to me-
"The valve was an easy repair, the bypass went fine. The aneurysm was big and scary. He will be very sick for several days, then either he will recover or he won't."  There is an 80% chance that the heart will recover."
What I had hoped to hear that the heart was humming along, but we are not there yet.
It is kind of crazy. He has a tube from his leg, that goes up and ends with a ballon against his heart.  A pump is inflating the balloon and  pushing on his heart, helping it to distribute blood as it should.
Then it was a long time before I got to see him at all.  He was obviously in pain. They were very surprised he was awake, even though that is a good sign. This was the first time I saw him at 1:30.  I knew that they work to get the patient off the vent within a few hours of surgery, so was very anxious for my next visit at 3:30 and at first shook up to hear that the surgeon said not to wean him from the vent until tomorrow.  He felt that 24 hours of his heart resting would ultimately benefit healing.  They said though that everything else looked good. They had increased pain meds and he was resting more comfortably.
At 5:30, still out, but everything okay.
7:30 awake and clearly wanted me there squeezing my hand, rubbing my arm and face, being the guy I know.  I assured him over and over that once again he was surprising everyone.  Thank God.
The night shift nurse said he was in as good a place as he could possibly be.
So, while he is not out of the woods, he is improving.
Please keep those prayers for healing of his heart while keeping all bugs and infections at bay going.
It will be the difference for him in this chance to have a healthy heart.
I am so appreciative of all the visits today. Such. A. Long. Day.
Nights it seems are even longer and harder.  Grace for each moment.
Thank you for  your prayers.
I know Handy Man would send you love in buckets if he could!

1 comment: