Saturday, June 15, 2019

The ICU Hourly Special

Good thing I wasn't gone long this morning, as his suffering simply wasn't being controlled. Not getting answers from the night nurse, not feeling helped by the day nurse,  I called Ceece's sister to the frontlines and she got the floor manager.
 By the hour  this morning, a side of me that I work hard to keep wrapped up tight was about to blow.
I said, "You are not listening to me, this is not working, vitals going nuts, him crazy in pain. I want this medicine changed and the plan changed. "  In addition, I asked if they ever planned to move that left leg that had not been moved since Wednesday, and was there any protocol for nutrition, as he had nothing since Tuesday evening.    She kept telling me things I knew and had not one thing to do with the problem at hand.  Soon we were joined by  the surgeon and at last,  things begin to change.  First a new med, second the knowledge that there was inflammation in his chest that couldn't be addressed with the meds he was on, so an additional appropriate relief.
Then, after an hour under proper medication, the goal was to sit on the side of the bed.  Handy Man has never one time been typical in this whole deal and didn't intend for today to be any different.  He sat on the side of the bed, he stood up on that leg while we all gasped and applauded and then took the steps to the chair (occupational therapist guiding and others help hold the five hundred wires and boxes and tubes- oh my). He made it three hours with no morphine boost, ate some healthy bone broth Rae brought and started dropping those drip meds left and right, oxygen turned down. All kinds of astounding things happened just in a few hours when someone finally paid attention and got the right treatment on board.  Thank God.
I did not have the heart to push for more. He desperately needed some sleep.  I never thought gentle snoring would sound like a heavenly choir, but it did. Tomorrow  though, we have work to do with moving those legs and moving those lungs and getting some nutrition into that body.
Thankful for support when you are wondering if you are just crazy to expect better pain control.
Thankful for the docs who are patient and explain details I feel the need to know.
For friends and family who listen to you yell, cry, or do whatever you need to do to get by.
Thankful for special treats, yummy food and holding vigil for me while I write here to you, and wash my hair.
The cardiologist explained some of the nitty gritty of that surgery to visiting friends who are friends with him as well.
Each time I hear it, the absolutely terrifying aspect is still very present, but the marvel is also very present.  It seems like some kind of Robin Cook fiction book, certainly not something that would involve Handy Man.  I don't know why we got the this miracle- oh tears, but I hope we never stop  treasuring  it and appreciate God's handiwork and the gifts He gives.
Specific prayers for today- Some sleep for both of us, that the last drain gets gone and that he has strength to breathe deep enough to keep it out, and no infections. 
One million thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Thankful Thankful Thankful. Full of tears and Thankful. Love you both. Prayers continue.

    ReplyDelete