Sunday, June 16, 2019

The Difference in a Day

My goodness, our day dawned very differently than yesterday, much later too, thank the Lord.
I woke up and looked across the room to bright, open, eyes. I peeked then at the clock and my heart sank- 5:00 am. An hour to go before scheduled meds, the worst hour.  So I cautiously got up greeted him.  What's that- a smile, a big cough without grabbing his chest bars,  a request for food instead of a morphine boost?  Unbelievable.  He slept like a rock all night long.  They had to wake him up to give him his meds at 2:00 a.m.  So, was it the change in pain med, did the anti-inflammatory and ice pack settle that inflammation, all those prayers?  I don't know, but it is hard to even compare yesterday's Handy Man to today's Handy Man.  And thank you Lord, the change is wonderful.

I despaired at him having to endure such pains for days and I despaired of having a ring side seat to such suffering.

As I was leaving he asked for his Kindle.  Hopefully he can say, "Hello, it's me," on fb today.

He will have a challenging day. He needs to be up more than down, he needs to breathe deeper. The chest tube needs to come out, which will, I hope, make that deep breathing easier. He needs to eat.
I'm home this morning making peach parfaits with some protein  and fiber rich foods.  Rae will bring more broth. 

His cardiologist is about to have heart failure himself wanting to do an echocardiogram.  He wouldn't have really considered putting him through much movement till he is stronger and the pain controlled, but is desperate to get a look at that remodeled heart.  I told him he had to show me too!!

As best as I can figure, there is only one big issue related to the heart and that is pulmonary hypertension.  I was told this is just what the body does when you mess with heart, nothing unusual, but takes a few weeks to heal.   We still have afib from time to time, but not so dramatic that it bottoms out his blood pressure.  They are working hard to switch what he does need to oral meds so we can lose the the panel of wires, and tubes and bags,  that looks like a science lab.

Thankful for a Heavenly Father, where I run again and again.

Happy Father's Day.


2 comments: