Wednesday, June 19, 2019

My Favorite Face

After I got settled back in at the hospital today I asked myself, "Did I update the blog before I left at the 5:00 am morning dash home to let the dog out?" and the answer was, "I don't know."  I know that this was  by far my sleepiest day.  So I see I did not. I have no idea why I did not.  Lack of sleep with no adrenaline rush doesn't work so well I guess.

Yes, my favorite face of Handy Man, the one that looks just like him in most every respect showed up today.  He ate four times and enjoyed it-huge, huge, huge. Asked  questions about people at work and the grandkids.  We talked through the days he is  missing in this adventure- about 4.  I brought newspapers and he got caught up on all there is to know in our community.  He went under his own steam to clean up this morning, took his own long, hot shower tonight. Is inhaling 1750 on the huffalump ( needed to be 1500), doing what needs done like it ain't no thing and he's all good. That's my guy. 
The nurse let him walk to the door of the unit and squeeze his wee folk this afternoon, which made everyone happy.
A friend from work stopped by and he was more than ready for some work news and enjoyed a nice chat.
A faithful friend of mine has come most days and just seeing her encourages me as she has her own scary heart experience that she has weathered wonderfully.
Aunt Tish showed up with some more yummy stuff and though he'd earlier turned down a hospital supper, he had no trouble enjoying what she brought.
All this lovely day and still no pain meds- astounding.
Otherwise, compared to all the other days, it was a slow one. A good problem, Handy Man has moved to the bottom of the list of immediate need, so we go a long time seeing no one.
For some reason I cannot fathom, though my guess is money, he cannot have a sleep apnea test in the hospital.  Since his oxygen stat drops when he is asleep, he can't go home unless that is aided.  So, he will have an ox/pulse test through the night, which I believe he will fail because he has sleep apnea and will have to go home with oxygen until he's able to get an appointment and have the sleep test done. Okay, let's do it.  Learned just before I left that it is a very loud alarm when the patient stops breathing, so I'm guessing there won't be much sleep tonight.
Other than that they are all thrilled. He saw another cardiologist who is on call for ours today. He came in, got all the scoop, checked him over and said, "Why is this man still here?"
In addition to the oxygen, when the surgeon came in he asked about his helper about meds and numbers, then mentioned the needed pressure in the left ventricular.  When he saw me trying to follow the conversation he looked at me and said, "Just some technical difficulties , might mean one more day."  That is fine with me. I want him in the best shape he can be.
A couple more days is nothing compared to the last two months of fretting and these past eight days, wondering if he would ever turn the corner toward healing.
The best news of the day, his kidney function not only returned to his normal, but for the first time, better than what we came in with in April.  A miracle- thank you Lord!
The next round of storms was supposed to hit about 8:00. I wanted to wait till that had passed , but it is 9:31 and looks like we might have missed it- hurrah. I wasn't looking forward to any more damage.
I hope it holds for the boys to do what they need to do in the morning.
And a little helper elf has obviously been here undoing damage, and leaving a little, sweet garden bouquet they made me smile.
A big ol' bunch of things to smile about today. It feels so nice!

2 comments:

  1. Such great news! I can't wait to see Handy Man smiling and feeling oh so much better!

    ReplyDelete