Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Grateful

Handy Man has always been a working man.  When they first told us that he was in end stage heart failure and only a surgery with a miracle attached would give him any longevity, we both assumed that it would be quickly. Everyone assumed so but the surgeon himself.  He had a few weeks of accumulated days. I guess as much as could be accumulated when you don't get sick leave and your only allowed to carry over so many vacation days.  So, yeah, maybe recovery would be a bit longer, but no big deal.  We had no idea the surgeon would not be in any hurry, and that all his paid time would be used before he even had the surgery. I have to not spend a lot of time thinking about that whole time factor, you know sort of holding our breath for seven weeks.  His heart apparently got worse in that time and his ejection fraction was only 14 at the time of the surgery.  It also seemed to me, even after all the tests, including an hour and a half MRI, even the surgeon was surprised at the size of his aneurysm, making me wonder if it too had worsened just since the MRI.  So, perhaps there were reasons for the delay that I will never understand, but he sure came very close to no ejection fraction it seems to me, as in a heart that wouldn't work at all.  Then all that could have happened with the aneurysm.
Again, we were surprised when they really couldn't tell us what recovery would look like and that he would come home with Life Vest, possibly for 90 days, which would likely mean the loss of his job altogether.  Okay, well.
Alas, I digress.
So, anyway, today we went to see a movie and to the grocery.  I reminded him to take his heavy flannel shirt.  When we got there, I was already fretting about how far he would have to walk and oh, I forgot the stairs, etc., etc.  He managed just fine.
He decided to stay in the car while I did the shopping.
Lady, does this train have a caboose?
Yes.
Anywho, Handy Man has likely not been without an income since he was a young teenager and I knew he wouldn't be too excited about us spending an extra penny.  So the movie was compliments of the basket he got from school, so how nice that we could do that.
One day, while he was in ICU, I came home to a Kroger card in the door.  The note said, "I thought you could use this."  Oh, thought I, how sweet, wonder who dropped it off? I didn't recognize the writing.  I brought it in and put it in the basket with the other school cards. Today I remembered to pick it up and take it with me since I was going to Kroger.  I handed it to the lady to swipe because the lady behind me was in a motorized chair and couldn't reach all her groceries and I was trying to help her. The cashier exclaimed, "Wow, that is some gift card."  I guess I was expecting a $20  dollar card, as that seems to be what I'm usually buying for folks.  It was some gift card alright, paying not only for this week's groceries, but next week's as well.  So anonymous friend, wow, so kind of you to give such a gift.
Speaking of groceries, I imagine we'll eat a ton of money's worth of wonderful vegetables Uncle Joe provides Aunt Tish, who in turns brings them to us. Overflowing baskets of peppers, cuks, tomatoes, eggplant, beans and tonight, a home delivery with cantaloupe.
And yet another card from a complete stranger who continues to pray for Handy Man. 
Bountiful blessings.
I have to learn to rest in all those precious prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment