Friday, April 24, 2020

Welcome Bugs

I received an unexpected gift the last day we were in school. It came from grandparents whose child was new to our school.  I thought and thought about how to use that gift in the best way.  I believe it was sincerely sent as a thoughtful personal gift to me. I love our  second grade little garden spot that Handy Man and I entertained ourselves with through the drought and our summer staycation after his surgery last summer.  Then, those little sweaty messes I teach toted water for weeks and weeks and we enjoyed the flowers and butterflies.  Looks like I have some time to spend there again this year.  I wanted to spend locally, so I chose a place that teaches about insects and how to garden for hummingbirds, bees and butterflies.  I ordered the plants online from them. I got the call yesterday that my order was ready and went this noon to pick them up.
They are healthy and beautiful.


Speaking of beautiful, another beautiful friendship also revolves around flowers and grandchildren and teaching.  When Rae and Drummer Boy were in third grade, I was the assistant in Mary Lynn's class and a lasting friendship was forged.  She also retired and has been the most amazing help to me.  She doesn't seem to tire of things that make me crazy and has the patience of Job to show the kids over and over how to weave, make a knot, a particular stitch and on and on.
I had not talked to her for a while and called after picking up the goods and told her I was headed to school to plant and she joined me.  I can't think of a better way to visit and keep your distance than gardening.
It was so beautiful out today and we got all of the new plants in and lots of leaves and trimmings out.
Before we finished, Gardner E came to walk and so we all had a good visit in the warm sunshine and breeze.  Even Thalia is following the social distancing order.



Now some Corona Chronicles, just for the sake of remembering.

Gee whiz, not only am I cranking out videos by the dozen, I even sang in one and now I'm taking a selfie.  It is frightening to think where else all this might lead.

I get the idea of wearing masks to protect other people from your germs.  I don't come near Uncle Jimi without being masked, but I don't really want your germs either, especially you who are not wearing a mask.  I have a lot of essential oils, so I looked up anti-viral oils and mixed the ones I had in alcohol to spray my mask, or my hands or anything I feel might be compromised.
I 'm all for, if it doesn't hurt and might help, do it.


Thanks to our village mask maker Ceece.  I chose this one because I thought it was books. Umm, it is fishing lures.  Well.

I was thinking about what I miss the most about this quarantine.  I miss Sunday Playdates a lot.  I miss meeting a friend girl for a walk or dinner. I miss my classroom, a lot.  Mostly though I miss all the things I did before without fear. 
 I miss not feeling guilty.
A long time ago I was ordering stuff from Amazon for Playdates I think, and remembered it was time to clean  Cluckingham Palace, so I looked at masks and ordered a box.  I completely forgot about them.  I was looking on the back porch for a box for food transport.  I try to save a few boxes and stick them somewhere before Handy Man pitches them, cause they are great for bread or other food packages. I spied one and grabbed it up, realized, umm this is full of something- face masks.  What?  Guilt, because I have something so many people need and want.  It mattered not that I am the transport person for a very medically vulnerable person, still guilt.  
Then when I feel as low as a snake's belly like yesterday when it rained all day long, I feel guilty because what do I really have to be blue about.
I went to the big Kroger yesterday.  I needed  wanted a couple of things I don't always find at the smaller ones.  I didn't even go in toilet paper aisle, because if there was toilet paper, I would have bought it- just in case.  People were pretty good about minding there closeness, except for the blue squares. If you stand on your blue square while the person checking out is on there's, then people just walk right between you.  Wow.
I feel horrified that there has been an outbreak in our county at a retirement community and most of our county losses have been from there.  I could just weep for those elderly people and those who love them.
But then I wonder, why have so many of us gotten behind this, done what needed doing to hopefully put a stop to the dying, when the pandemic of starving people in the world never gets this attention though it is real and  the numbers are ginormous. 
I feel quilty because shouldn't I have had every nook and cranny spotless by now?  Well, in case you haven't guessed, it ain't and ain't looking none too likely anytime soon.
I feel sick because once again as I am finishing this up I got a phone call that Uncle Jimi is headed back to the hospital he just left on Wednesday.  I am afraid, because I know the source of the problem cannot be fixed. I can't be there to weigh options with him and to give him comfort, which is what I want most to do.
Lord have mercy.





2 comments:

  1. Love the fishing lures! Toney would be jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to be out gardening! Love the fishing lures! Toney would be jealous!

    ReplyDelete