Sunday, April 5, 2020

Sometimes

Sometimes something turns out so yummy, you realize you might have been better off not knowing.
Afraid this comes with a back story. Doesn't it always?
So, a new little Mexican place opened in town and there you could get a soft or corn taco with just the meat, like crispy pork carnitas, and then add your own toppings.
Mostly what you would expect on the topping bar, except for red pickled onions and sliced radishes.  Neither of which I had ever had with a taco.  I discovered, that along with the regular stuff, including my passion for piles of cilantro, I just love those onions and radishes ( two separate species here, not all in one).
Well ,Ol' Mother Hubbard said something about a dish she recently made and it got those crispy carnitas heavily on my mind.
So whilst I was at the grocery I bought all the stuff.
Ahem, except the red onions, which required another set of bleach wipes as I returned to procure them.
I came home and googled recipes and found, oh about a million.  How to do you make a decision like that?  One person swore you only needed to chunk up the pork, cook for a couple hours with salt and pepper, then cook the water out and crisp.
All the rest had various fruit juices and some spice.
It was hard for me to imagine that the fruit juices wouldn't do something more yummy, so I decided to experiment.
Into one pot I put just s and p and into the other a mix of orange, lime and mandarin orange juice.
I cooked them for several hours, took off the visible fat, let them cooked down, watching close and turning frequently to crisp and not burn.
Honestly, I could not tell you the difference.
So, I mixed up my usual cole slaw dressing, and added some chili lime rub I had, sliced and pickled the onions, chopped the cilantro and sliced the radishes and could hardly wait for the Handy Man to come home.
It did not disappoint.  We ate it with flour tortillas.
I had also purchased corn tortillas.  Now corn tortillas are not my favorite, generally speaking, especially not soft ones , ewwww.
But I recall, back in my younger days when a guy opened a Mexican restaurant, downtown, across from the high school. It was a dumpy hole in the wall that Handy Man and I frequented for two things- a cheese corn crisp and a beef burrito deluxe.  The owner had long hair and sat in a booth counting the days take, a pistol by his side.  That restaurant developed into lots more of them in the area, but trust me, they are not the same. Then, you know now, there is a Mexican restaurant on every corner.
Since we had flour tortillas I decided to try a corn crisp with toppings.



Wow, also really, really good.
So, there were still a lot of corn tortillas left and I hated to just feed them to chickens, who are not the least bothered by the their soft cornmealyness.  What to do?  Hmm, what about nachos?  I don't really know why I've never attempted to make nacho chips before.  Probably I didn't need to know how good homemade, warm nachos chips are.  Now I do know- sooooo good.
End of story.

Made a trip to my sad and lonely classroom.  I needed to get all the living things, worms, snails and plants home before they perished.
So very strange to be hauling things out in April.

Speaking of my room, I  must whisk myself off to video land.  
Peace and love and safety is my prayer for you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment