Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Sweet Little Weeds

Today my Bible study scripture was - For God has called me to be fruitful in the land of my affliction. Genesis 41:52
I'd say we've all been called to this, as in this bizarre turns of events, we're all afflicted.
What does fruitfulness look like will be different for each one.
Today, I am healthy, Handy Man is healthy, Uncle Jimi is healthier than he was, my little Mr. Smiley is loving life, as road crews tear up his road frontage with vehicles that delight and entertain him. My boys are working everyday in the Captain's new business doing roofing maintenance. A great job for social distancing.  Praise God for all that and more.
We know, each of us know more and more, as this virus creeps ever closer to our personal borders, that our affliction can be infinitely worse.   Even if it never crosses it, we are ever wondering, for me mostly anyway, "Will I inadvertently carry it to someone?"  And there is simply no good answer.
So, I'm left with being here, trying to make the best use of my time.  I have always had some dark time anxiety and I am a wonderer and ponderer.  When the sun is up, so am I, going, going, going. When darkness falls, so does my cheer and another fear seems to be waiting around every corner as I overthink every last thing.  Oh my.  Time to have a little talk with Jesus.
So for today-
A friend posted on fb about making violet jelly. That color is just a delight.  I'm a fairly picky jelly consumer- cherry and blackberry preserves being my most favorite, and I didn't have all the ingredients. Of course, that jelly is so pretty, I would enjoy it just sitting in a window.
So what to do?
Should I try sugared violets?
Maybe, but not today, as I still have school work to do and my affliction- videos to make.
What about violet vinegar, for when my lettuce is ready?  Perfect.
One site I read said to be sure and not pick all the violets in one place. Umm, no problem there friends, we have a violet lawn.
So out I went this morning, while these sweet weeds were still dewy.  It was another quiet praying opportunity, praying for each of my second graders, for my people, for your people, for all the people.




I did not wear shoes, or gloves.  I'm a little worried at the amount of alcohol and bleach in our world.  Not much we can do about it, but I can get some good dirt germs on my hands and feet.  Thankfully you can't see bare, dirt stained feet in my teaching videos.



 I pinched a few with long stems to fill my tiny bathroom vases.  I've had these little vases for years and so enjoy filling them with whatever is growing in the yard. They had not yet been sprung from winter.

My reason for decorating and cleaning is usually because someone or lots of someones are coming to dinner.  I was sort of shocked, when I went to get the vases, that Chicken Little, leader of band, was still hiding in the cabinet, with only days till Easter.

So, in their Easter bonnets, the parade came out.

Chicken Little is 24 by the date on the bottom and I'm sure was in Drummer Boy's Easter basket.
For years I got the kids some new decoration in their baskets, much like the ones below, that I made.  Silly me, I thought they would enjoy having items with history and traditions in their own celebrations. Ugh, not so.  Of course, I was blessed with a couple of gramerlings that love these things. 
They don't fail to make smile, even after 24 years, so lead on Chicken Little.

No comments:

Post a Comment