Monday, April 29, 2019

Technology


For all the technology we have to use, communication still seems hard.  Handy Man and I headed to his primary care office this morning to try to straighten out the need for the pre-authorization for a med.  I also thought, since we were there, I would ask for a copy of his records.  While we were waiting, someone came out to request that we see the nurse practitioner, the person he saw three times in the last six months.  Let's just say I felt worse than if I been dunked in ice water.  I had not intended to address this situation today. Just not really in emotional shape.  I sent out an emergency call for prayer. I figured we'd all come out in better shape if the Holy Spirit went before me. We had to wait there a while.  Then back in the room for a long time. Oh, not before paying for the visit don't you know.  So he comes in and acts just exactly like Handy Man's  getting a check up for a sinus infection, so dunk number two.  I never said one word unless there was clarification needed.  I don't believe I've ever seen anyone go through a few papers so thoroughly in my life.   Finally, after saying he would take care of the med situation, asked if we had any questions.  I said that I had a question. Handy Man had clearly had this heart injury for a long time. How was it overlooked?  At first he bumbled around and said even the hospital report shows how atypical he is, stout, not showing obvious signs. I said, "I'm sorry, a sixty plus man presenting fluctuating blood pressure and excruciating chest pain did not clue you in that at the minimum a stress test and EKG was called for?"  Finally, he said that he was thinking of the event as back pain and completely missed the obvious, he should have explored it further.  By this time, I was teary, not over the top, not yelling or being dramatic I just said the truth. "Now his very life is at risk and I am shattered." " I don't have anymore questions." And we left.
We still don't have the med.

Today showed no weight gain-good.  A perfect blood pressure- good.  Still a good appetite.  Each day I ask how he's doing and each day he says, " I'm not afraid, I think I'm going to be okay."  That will be just fine by me.

Shower time is intimidating, when the bomber vest comes off.  I just stand and wonder how you do heart percussions and call 911 and well all sorts of things.  I was holding the towel in front of the heater, waiting to hurry his vest back on and this cotton boll wreath was right in front of me.  Seems I spend a lot of time trying to get my mind in a better place so I was just thinking about God creating cotton and wondering if He smiled thinking about all the things people would figure out to do with it. Wonder if He pictured it being spun out into thread.  Then did He imagine indigo, so they could be dyed blue, like the sky?  And who else could have thought up all that silk thread in moth cocoons, and the strength of that stuff.


Who thought of this life giving vest? Thank you Lord for that person.  We got the new one today, so I had to change the electronics. Ugh, just praying you do it right.
An alarm woke us up at one a.m. this morning. Thank God, I  immediately knew it wasn't the heart stopping siren, it was an alarm we hadn't heard at training. A lead was off. The flashing light was orange, not red.  I found it pretty quickly.  Gee, whiz. Probably happened because you need to change the vest  every other day so they don't get loose.  We were supposed to get the second one on Friday. It just came today.  
My Indy friend came to spend the afternoon. She brought some yummy lunch and we planted more flowers. My favorite thing to do. Handy Man was glad to be warm enough to rock away part of the day on the front porch.  More friends stopped by through the afternoon -helps the time go faster as we await MRI.  



7 comments:

  1. Praying for Handy Man and You, for God to give you strength. Please let him know all his co-workers and friends miss him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure appreciate your prayers. You are welcome to come and visit as well.

      Delete
  2. My dear Kimberly I am so very sorry you are having to go through this.God bless you both. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, certainly isn't the most fun I've ever had, but see God's blessings all the same. I am just so completely floored how a body can just go to work all day in the shape his plumbing is in. Downright confounding. Thank you for the love prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Continued prayers for Phil and you and all your people that love this dear man! I can SO relate to all the ups and downs, ins., meds, machines, beeps in the night, being out of control, etc., etc., etc. Hurry up and wait.....that's hard to do. Love you girl. You all will get through this and be stronger because of it.

    ReplyDelete