Friday, June 19, 2020

Opposite of Accumulate

If you are on social media of any kind, you've probably come across the meme that says something like, "I've realized during this quarantine that lack of time is not the reason I don't clean."
For me, lack of time is often a concern, but with all the time in the world, I hate it.
Well, today I couldn't come up with another excuse for not tackling the pantry.  It was about as awful a shape as ever it has been.  I am ever incredulous that I managed to get that much stuff in that little bit of space. I'm just good at creating messes, what can I say.
For years, well five years now, since I spent my whole summer clearing out Mom's things, I've really tried to do better.  Recently, for hosting a friend group, I received the most beautiful cups.  I loved them, but I know the drill. I had to go through and part with some other loved cups, or pass those along.  I did, but as I've said time and again, it is just so challenging for me.
It is past time to part with a lot of things.  Another stage of my life has been unraveling, best cry about it and move on.
Handy Man made this for Rae when she was four I think.  She never really loved it, but interestingly enough nearly every three to four year old boy that darkened our door did   So I kept it as I was ever having friends and family with littles and then the long awaited day came that I was a grandma.  Of course I had to keep it for these gramerlings.  Well, my least ones are 5 and 6, and none of my kids want anything that was theirs, so I finally drug it out to be the fairy house for Playdate, under the tree fort and the mulberry tree where it will just melt away.


I had a few tractors left from Drummer Boy, and then we got Ol' Henry- aka Tractor Boy.  Never in my life have I known of a child so smitten with a tractor.  I have some school friends who are into yard sales and would always keep an eye out for me.  That littlest bit is now driving a tractor for real. The collection of tractors  saw a lot of playtime, but I no longer have a wee one with tractor love. 


 This, the sturdiest piece of plastic EVER.  I bought it when Bean was two and Bugg was brand new. It has housed potions, and critters and orbeez and boats and kids who climb in to sit.





The Davy Crockett hats have all been outgrown.

 Back to the pantry clean out. Finally I am going to part ways with most of the candy molds and the cookie cutters, like the princess and the carriage. 

Along with tractors, I provided all the accoutrements for princesses, fairies and brides. 
I've dwindled dress-up clothes down to just a few.

 Accumulating for every new interest, whether Civil War, Davy Crockett, princess or fairy has been my joy these past 15 summers.  It was just so fun. Though it was a lot of work and a lot of mess, I must say it was a wonderful feeling for Gramerly and this ol' tumble down farm to be the place to be. Each year, for another gramerling it seems, the magic is gone.  I am not nearly as gifted relating in this tech driven world as they grow up and move on.
I wonder now, how many more summers of Playdate will there be.
I'm trying to come to grips with that as I let go of all these things that hold such precious memories.  Each year I'm moving my flowers in closer, as each summer there are less feet running through the yard.
I will say, the Good Lord certainly gave me the desire of my heart in being able to cultivate big imaginations, explore many ideas and periods of history and make-believe, and allow running and playing  like a wild thing.  For that, I am thankful.
Alas, I must return to the pantry. Almost done.



No comments:

Post a Comment