Sunday, June 14, 2020

A Little Bit of This

As I said before, I dug out every old seed packet I had and planted most of them.  In one of the ziplock bags there were a myriad of seeds that had fallen out of packages.  Handy Man tilled me a spot early on in the garden, before the last frost, so the only I threw in there the dibs and dabs in the corner of that bag.  Turns out it was some kale, chard, bok choy and a few sprigs of dill.
I decided to grill chicken today, but had no plan for what to put with it.  I don't even remember the last time I made a menu. Quite unlike me.
A few years ago I picked up a book called An Everlasting Meal- Cooking with Economy and Grace by Tamar Adler.  It was at the Dollar Tree, where on occasion they have some decent books.  That the foreword was by Alice Waters caught my eye and probably led to it being thrown in the basket.
Well, really, it was one of those sort of life changing books. Now I don't mean in a spiritual way, but in my way of doing things.  Basically, she talks about grabbing what is handy to fix meals.  I've considered myself a decent cook for a long time, but I pretty much stayed in some rather defined lines. I guess it gave me confidence to play my meals by ear so to speak. I will pull it out and reread it from time to time, for a refresher.
So, back to chicken and the garden. I didn't have anything green handy, so headed to that little patch and picked what I had there, minus the dill.

Earlier in the week the Captain stopped by with onions he wasn't going to use.


Michael found some garlic scapes
 So, I carmelized the onions and scapes and then added the greens.  Used up the last of my Farmer's Market milk to make creamy noodles and it was a yummy supper.


Speaking of the Farmer's Market, our friend Katie sells sweet little bouquets of flowers there.  I bought these from her a week and a day ago and they are still pretty.
 Rae is good to share her flower bounty as well.  I love flowers.

I love each time we get a little break in the heat and when a sweet morning shower means no watering.  
Nice day.
I can't say I like it, but I can say I am getting more used to the lack of places to be and things to do.

1 comment: