Saturday, August 3, 2019

Strange and Fasinating Place

One of the places it dawned on me that we had never been was where they constructed an Ark.  I can't really tell you why.  Somehow I wasn't sure how I felt about that. I'm notorious for not liking conflict, and seems a lot of conflict surrounded the building of it, and I wasn't sure how Biblically it was aligned.  I asked Handy Man if he'd like to see it and he said that he had wanted to. So with our last Visa gift card, we headed east.
I don't really know exactly what I was expecting.  I guess just to pull up in front of something that resembled an Ark, go in, walk about, go home.  Well, not exactly. I knew when I saw the parking lot that this was a lot bigger deal than I had understood.  You walk a ways to buy tickets, another way to wait for a bus, a wiggly way on said bus to a visitor's center and then another walk to the Ark.  It was just so big. I had not planned on that.
It was very impressive to me. If you read the signs, they make it very clear that much of the inside is pure artistic license, though effort was made to base the expression on whatever records there  are of the time and the area. The idea of how they enclosed the animals and fed them and removed waste was intriguing.  A lot of reading. I'm not sure it would be great fun for littles unless you took lots of breaks.  They have a little zoo and a playground, beautiful gardens. Snacks on all three decks. A big restaurant buffet and littler food areas, so I was able to keep the man fed throughout.  I left my camera at home.
I know there are people who want a scientific explanation for everything.  I guess the Ark builders maybe meant to show it could happen and how, and they do a great job.  I don't need a scientific explanation for everything. I absolutely believe in a great source of creativity that I can only admire, but can't really understand.  I'm good with that. Some folks think that means I am stupid.  I'm okay with that too.  
For instance,  one Handy Man who's heart was so bad, so very bad, nearly beyond life in medical respects, who was blessed with a gifted surgeon, who cut away 210 cc's of his heart, and then sewed it up and hoped for the best, but absolutely did not know if it would work and even if the heart worked, would the rest of him survive the damage.  And a cardiologist who never expected him to wake up quickly knowing everyone with no neurological damage and admitted he had no idea what would happen next.    One Handy Man, who after eight weeks, will return to work on Monday.  Yes, he will.  I'm sorry, there isn't enough science out there to explain how a heart can be dramatically reduced and relearn its way.  All the feels people, all the tears too.  Praise God!

Just four months ago, the rug was abruptly jerked out from under us.  Handy Man went from being very independent,  and hard working, to not being able to work and having to rely on me for transportation and other things.  It was a strange dynamic for sure.  We didn't really know if that would ever change.  Now it seems strange that on Monday we'll go our separate ways, our old known ways, but in other ways, forever changed.  Yes, it will be strange.

Moving along, after our Ark Encounter, I gave away a ton of books from our reading being revamped at school.  

While Rae and a friend where perusing the goods, Giddy-Up wanted me to come look at a locust coming out of its shell.  I realized it was probably time, so I turned the camera over to him.  Bean and Bugg have long been using my camera and Giddy-Up was old enough.  He started out a bit unsure, and there were some blurry pictures, but soon he figured it out and he was off.  It was fun to see what he captured.









Friday I returned to work.
Today we went to see three of ours in their drama camp performance. They did a great job.  I was especially surprised to see Buttercup do a solo. So brave and beautiful.


We again were blessed with a pile of delicious tomatoes from Uncle Joe and just finished chopping when Drummer Boy came to mow.  I knew Handy Man had been itching to get in the seat of this Big Dog.  Drummer Boy was very amused at watching him figuring out this new to him piece of machinery.   Very entertaining. 


1 comment:

  1. Giddyup is something with that camera. The log and the leaves is my favorite! Very clear and up close, pretty like a post card.

    ReplyDelete