Sunday, December 25, 2022

Merry Christmas 2022

 Merry Christmas

A few years back, I moved my own little family's Christmas get together back to Christmas Eve morning. I really liked having it the Sunday before as it was the first gifts and the first holiday foods and no one had anywhere to be, etc.  Still, after Mom died and there was no more big Christmas Eve party, it just was too lonesome on  Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

As I mentioned in a previous post,  we have a local establishment that helps single mamas get on their feet. I spent Wednesday wrapping presents and then spent the evening with some sweet littles and their mamas decorating houses, sipping hot chocolate and eating cinnamon rolls.  

 

One little lady  spent an hour and half, hardly looking up, icing up her little house and the big house (oh, and sticking candy in her mouth). 


 

For our breakfast, I was bored with the usual fair, since I already fixed part of it on our Tennessee vacation. I found a recipe for rolls in Phil's favorite flavor- butterscotch, so thought I'd try it. I actually used less rolls than called for, but oh my- popping out all over.  It was tasty, but wasn't a big hit with the family. 

I had an unusual tree experience this year. The balsam I usually get doubled in price. My sweet nephew Oliver brought me a tree from the farm.   The absolute fattest tree I have ever, ever had. We barely got it in. I don't know if it was the drought this summer or what, but it immediately started shedding in a way I have never experienced. It was very literally raining pine needles. Ever up for something to keep these gramerlings entertained, and ever the teacher, I decided to take the tree down before presents and each one had to predict how tall the needle pile would be. This little project was a big hit. 

Look at those branches, have you ever. 

This became our yule log as they dragged it out to burn. I had fretted that due to needle loss, it could go up in flames at anytime, but interestingly, it sputtered right out and wouldn't burn.  So weird. That will ever be the remembered tree and the fact that I imagine we'll be finding pine needles  until next Christmas. 

Next up was another new for Christmas. I never recall sledding on any Christmas Eve in our past as we almost never have snow.  Thursday and Friday plunged us to below zero and left a blanket of the wished for white stuff on the ground. 

When Lilli is on camera duty, we have to have feet pictures.

And, Elsie Gray in someone's glasses.

 Time for stockings. Wow, lots more room for this line-up

As soon as an Advent devotion and breakfast were over, I started a big pot of soup for lunch .

Then it was time for Christmas movies. 

I had time for a little nap before we headed to Uncle Tim's where he, with is able assistant Aunt Tish were hosting Christmas Eve. 

With all the joy, I am still haunted by the ghosts of Christmas past, and for whatever reason draw some comfort in still trying to include them-

The scrubbies we received from Mom, every single Christmas. The flashlights from Uncle Jimi.

The traditional potato candy handed down from Mom to Glenda and from Glenda to lots of our littles. 

Kaye's cheeseball-

We hadn't tried an all call on Christmas Eve since Mom passed away four years ago. Due to weather and the fact that in four years other traditions have been established, we were low in number. I was glad for the ones I got to see.  And I got a few pictures. I missed Jordan, Conner, Tony and family,  and Raechel and her crew. 


We ended the evening with a lovely Christmas Eve service at church. 

Tonight we'll assist another local place who hosts Christmas for anyone who is alone. 

Merry Christmas to all!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful time! I love the piles of pine needles! So glad the kids had fun in the snow together. What a blast.

    ReplyDelete