Friday, December 23, 2022

December So Far

 As usual, December was crazy busy with the Gingerbread House Party and the endless activities I do with my students. Added to that was a trip with the kids to Norris Tennessee to go to the Appalachian Museum. It was supposed to be a big deal with candle light, sorghum making, singing and a live nativity, but the whole evening program was cancelled due to rain. Still I wanted the kids to experience a bit of Appalachian life and that was accomplished. 


We rented cabins in Norris Dam State Park. Everyone converged at our cabin for supper in the evenings complete with music-



crafts-
coloring-
















visiting the dam-









popcorn-
gaming-

conversation and just chillin' -

Hot chocolate -

sewing-
storytelling-


oranges with peppermint sticks-



The Appalachian Museum 


The Lenoir Museum's tribute to miners-

And a last stop, with those that remained, at this picturesque little church that sat in the side of hill. Got some of the that ol' time religion- and it is still good enough for me.  They sang seven songs. It had been a long time since I was in church with two of my kids and a passel of gramerlings, at the same time-sweet. 


Everyone headed home. Pap and I made stop at my cousin Myra's to visit, have dinner and express our sorrow at the loss of her husband Henry.

It was  a good trip and I am always thankful to the Good Lord when we come and go safely. I was glad to see a part of life our ancestors live and to be able to talk to the kids about it. Soon this generation of kiddos will be marrying and going their separate ways, so no time like the present to get it done. 

Another death of our friend Bob will take us out of town next week.  It would be sure enough sad no matter, but right at Christmas, well. 

So the usual mad rush when school ended on Tuesday to get the last things done.  Blackbean Omelets with Ol' Mother Hubbard's crew and another night of gingerbread at a local place. Stockings are stuffed, and systems are go for our Christmas Eve breakfast with my people and Christmas evening with my siblings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment