Sunday, June 28, 2015

At the Fairy Ball

Oh my, I am tuckered.  In addition to Playdate, I had hoped to have the kiddos in smaller groups this summer, so I could do activities more tailored to their age groups.  My original date with the little boys had to be canceled, due to services for my sister.  Today was the day for the girls, and what a big day it has been.
We planned and executed a Fairy Ball.
My wee fairies started arriving about 12:30. There was much to do. Actually, I planned a bit too much. You're shocked I know.  I failed to consider that I usually have a minion or two to do my bidding, but it was just the girls and me (well, Handy Man was reading a book and taking a nap, but did jump in at the end).
So my hope was to have fun, but also pass along some training in entertaining and preparing for a party.  First, we made a list and then got down to business.  Lots and lots of pictures.

We created fairy wands from grapes with a kiwi star on top. We made the beloved mints in a fairy shade of violet.
 A mini vanilla wafter and Hershey's kiss became acorns. Celery and pretzels became butterflies and cheese and cherry tomatoes were transformed into mushrooms.
 Yummy shortbread was cut into little woodland animals.
 For Fairy punch ( aka, or maybe I should say,  formerly known as "prom punch"), beaded stems were added to the wine glasses.




 Not even fairies enjoy bad bugs, though fairies love mint and lavender, bad bugs don't.  Each guest received a fragrant sachet.
 Toliet paper rolls made great napkin rings.
 Then it was time to put all of this together on the tables.  I just handed the fairies pearls and tulle, tablecloths, etc and let them do their fairy magic.




Goodness, after working and working all afternoon, it was time to get ready for the ball.  My yard was transformed by their beauty and all aflutter with flying fairies. You know I think playing in make-up and dressing up is all well and good, until I look at them and they look nineteen and it about gives me heart failure.  I want to order those dresses off and that make-up off their face.  I fight it and give them their night.










I felt they needed proper fairy names and this was a subject of much conversation, as you can't figure out your name until you know what kind of fairy you are.  That decision was tough when one wishes to be an animal fairy and the spring fairy.  Antebellie finally decided to be Preparation Fairy- crack up.  Considering all the preparing they did, I am not at all surprised. Can't say as I recall a Preparation Fairy in any of Cicely Mary Barker's illustrations.  I do love the Willow Fairy.

Guests were welcomed and all our yummy food enjoyed.



Much dancing followed the feast.  What a big time!
And of course, I wonder how much longer such pretend play will be something they enjoy.  I never tire of it.



3 comments:

  1. Those are the most beautiful fairies ever! They looks so magical in their beautiful gowns, and you're right -- they look way too grown up! But little girls do love their dress up parties! Amara and her friends would have loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It was a sweet time with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a wonderful Fairy Ball with all of the preparations, the costumes and all the great ideas! It's so great that you share all of your loving ideas with the children which inspires them to use the creativity that is within them. I love this!

    ReplyDelete