Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Update on Uncle Jimi

They've now lifted the "No Visitors" at the hospital. Today was day 8 of Jimi's 5 th visit since February. I was able to see him this afternoon. Honestly, he's about the best looking critically ill person you will ever hope to see.  I think he had his 8th scope yesterday, swallowed the camera twice last week and had a nuclear abdominal scan.  Through all of this, nothing really has changed.  His liver has failed, which pushes the blood back into the stomach, so over and over they've looked for any other source of bleeding, but other than two ulcers, fairly easily healed, the seeping stomach veins have been the culprit.  At the second scope, the doctor said he was not a candidate for a liver transplant, and wasn't a good candidate for the the only other option, a TIPS procedure, where a stent is placed in the blocked area.  Why? It sends toxins straight to the heart without being cleaned up and doesn't process ammonia, which goes to the brain and causes confusion.  Because his heart is not in great shape already, he didn't indicate that TIPS was an option.
After four more visits with no different results,  I knew this TIPS procedure would come up again, because really, there is not another option.  It isn't a good one.  Their new reasoning, according to Jimi is that he has withstood blood levels so low that they are virtually unheard of, in living people anyway, and potassium levels so high to never, ever seen or heard of, so who knows, maybe he will withstand this treatment and be able to have some time without an IV pumping blood in as fast as his stomach is pumping it out.
I requested to speak to the doctor about what to look for specifically and how to proceed when these things were noticed. Bless his heart, his primary care doc called me this evening to do just that, inviting me to call him anytime.
I feel like Jimi has made the only decision he can, to proceed.  Needless to say, the endless revolving hospital visits are no way to live.
He asked for prayer for the procedure at noon tomorrow.
I made it through the Google Hangout Awards this evening with my students.   One of our student's father passed away from Covid, Jimi's dilemma and the loss of a friend made it strange to celebrate, but I got it done.
So,  my teaching with my second grades is done.  A very different end than I hoped for, but grateful they are all well and so am I.
Some days this world seems sadder than others.
Update- Wednesday, May 20th- It seems the procedure went well, thank the Lord.  Just time will tell the results.  Thank you for your prayers.
Update- Thursday, May 21- It is good for me to write the date and day, because without a schedule, I'm lost.  I went to visit after dialysis today.  He was pretty weary, but dialysis zaps him. This is day 9 and they've done zero PT, so he's weak.  The only change he feels, is feeling fuller. He hoped to come home today, but that was riding on a blood test he had not yet had.

1 comment: