Saturday, May 9, 2020

The Corona Frost

I had thought, being this time of May, that any danger of frost was past, alas, no. Well, there is no way I could have all this time and sunshine on my hands and not plant.  One of my great joys is just walking around seeing if any wee seed sprouted, or if there is a bit of bloom where there wasn't.
I had also done a lot of work and planting in the school garden, so when we were under threat last night, I spent most of the afternoon and evening, once the rain stopped, trying to cover everything up.

Looks like we managed well.  Sadly, in my yard I forgot two things that I very much wanted protected. A big early tomato and a new butterly plant, wooly dutch pipevine.
The tomato is dead.
The pipevine doesn't look bothered.
I didn't have any choice but to use plastic in the school garden. I always purchase those plastic flannel back tablecloths when they are clearanced to use for all sorts of messy projects in the classroom.  I had one plant in the garden that was good sized already. The top was smashed by the tablecloth and got a little damage but not much. Otherwise, all plants looked good.
Some things I do want to remember-
The most of my rose that I covered looks exactly like the part I didn't cover, unbothered, same for my  Japanese Maple.
The chameleon vine under cover, due to the dahlias, and out were unbothered.
I covered seedlings with cardboard, which was good enough thankfully.
My peonies about to bloom,  and abelia in full bloom, held up wonderfully.
Please, can we done with frost?

My sweet Giddy-Up witnessed a dog tearing into his bunny cage and killing their angora girls before anyone could save them.  He's a sensitive littlest bit and will have a mighty hard time with this.

On the Uncle Jimi front.  Still in the hospital, getting dialysis and more blood.  He says they can't do the camera pill impatient. Since nothing is being done to stop the bleeding, I don't understand at all how he can be outpatient.  Dear me, I feel so bad for him stuck in there.  I feel bad for so many and grateful to be home, cooking for my people and playing in my plants.
 Thank you Lord for this sunshiny day.  Thanks for every good and perfect gift and for what there is to learn from the things that don't feel much like gifts.

To all who mother someone with tender love and care I wish you a happy Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment