Saturday, December 14, 2019

School in December

Handy Man and I went to the sibling brunch for a few on Sunday morning.


Pete shared that Monday would find him having a heart cath.  Indeed, one that resulted in a ride in an ambulance back to Louisville for a four bypass surgery.  It seems he is weathering it well.
Next, we headed to spend most of the rest of the day with Noelle, waiting for this little missy's arrival.

Goes a long way in relieving my angst over there being no wee lassie to buy cutest girl clothes for.
Thank the Lord, all is well for Noella, baby and Pete.

In many ways, teaching is teaching, if the student is 8 or 80 and I've taught across a very great spectrum. Still, I've spent these months in second grade busy, trying to figure out art and many other things.  Previously, my students did a stitchery of an angel or nativity.  This group is a bit young for that, though they are amazing weavers- that was a surprise. I've frequently had fourth and fifth graders who struggled with the whole over, under deal.
I only looked at a million art projects before coming up with a couple I hoped we could handle together.













During Spark Stations, they are creating the North Pole.
Our country of study is Germany, so Gardener E introduced Krampus first to me, then to them.  Whew, took a bit to find pictures not to terrorize all of us. The kids then drew Krampus and his angel counterpart.  I put them on the bulletin board and they make me smile every time I look at them.

I did manage to get another set of houses made. A sweet friend from back in my own kid's school days has a grandson in my class and came to hang all the art work and oversee the decorating- such a blessing. 

 
I love that we can celebrate Advent .   Each afternoon we turn the lights down, light the candles and each kiddo in turn, shares the scripture.


This Advent activity introduces my students to all the names of Jesus.  I wanted to extend the activity a little, so I made them a book to record the scripture and illustrate it however they saw fit.  So many of them have taken this seriously and really enjoyed it the process.  It is a lovely part of our afternoon each day.




I got a surprise call Wednesday evening that Ceece had scored free tickets to Over the Rhine and invited me to go with her and I was free and could.  So fun, well with exception to the intoxicated couple who were intent on having a loud conversation during the songs.  I have no idea why anyone would want to talk when Karin opens her mouth and that melodic sound falls out. It is just magic to me.

We kicked off our morning searching for a few more stocking stuffers.
We came home to a cold house.  Our friend who has kept this ol' furnace and AC going for years beyond what it should, hasn't been able to kick this old beast in gear this winter.  Looks like we might be looking at a new system.  Bah humbug.
I spent the evening doing the Christmas fudge.  Part of the fudge is Auntie G-Lou's peanut butter fudge recipe.  I had just dreamed about her, so it was a teary fudgey evening.
I very much want to be joyful, but there are just so many memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment