Monday, September 2, 2019

So Long Vines

Ahh, bittersweet huh? The end of a long weekend. I think I always need this blog and these pictures, to remember important things instead of my mind just being flooded with all the things I didn't get around to. Clearly, I got around to quite a bit.
Rae and her family were out of town, but Ceece brought a couple of bits of sweetness with her - a Westerly Wind  and his Firecracker little moppet sister- Ceece's nephew and niece. Their Mama is the ICU nurse, who bore most of my post surgery hysteria in ICU. Thank God for her.
Missy Bugg grabbed the camera and they headed to see what the garden had on offer.

You can barely see it in the far back top right corner, but my crepe myrtle looks like it is wearing a ruby crown.




Ever hear the saying, "The grass is always greener over the septic tank."  This was one tiny little pumpkin plant.





Then it was time to eat and for Bean to play with the camera for a bit. Ol' Mother Hubbard brought me some excess corn and I made this Roasted Chili Lime Corn salad that was delicious.  Jordan brought mac and cheese with tomatoes, so while it wasn't bread this week, the carbs were still in abundance.





A little musical interlude.




Westerly Wind read me a very long picture book.  Wow, what a reader!  I can't seem to help breathing a big sigh of relief when I hear a first grader read like that. He has it. Just give him good books and he'll be golden.
When you can't read on grade level, school is hard every single day. I work hard every single one of those days to put some joy into those struggling reader's days.

Lots to see at Gramerly's and this lil' punkin' wasn't about to miss a thing. 
 Be still my heart.  The dolphin swing with a real dolly inside.

My tomato marbles. 

 This has been the strangest gardening year.  On one end of the garden bed I planted some Indian cucumbers and on the other end, snake beans.  It took for.ev.er. for them to grow.  Even after they got started, it was so slow. I ended up planting a few other things in the middle of the bed.  Then it seemed like the two vines were dueling, seeing who can cover the most garden bed and garden.  I think some of those vines grew out fourteen feet. Crazy.  I was so surprised this weekend to find that the flower seeds I planted somehow found their way through those vines. I want those flowers to self seed, so tonight started the process of de-vining the bed.


 The other bed was more behaved.


 It is fun and funny to pick only one bean for our supper.





Mom's little garden bed looks a bit different than it did in June. Wow


I actually worked today. I spent most of the day at school.  Handy Man helped me water this morning in my school garden and then I got busy in my room that has already gotten away from me.  It is ever a challenge to allow for a lot of free expressions and not have stuff everywhere.
He picked me up for a lunch date and came back to defrost my little refrigerator.  Gee, it is so great to have my other half up and running at nearly full speed.  Our water heater went out this weekend, so that was another big job he was able to tend to.  Thank you Lord.
So, I will blink twice and it will be Friday again.  Back to it.


2 comments:

  1. It was a great lunch and the kids had fun. Brings back old memories (tears). I loved the tomato jewels. Thanks for having us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that pumpkin plant is something! Wish I had thought to plant one here. Love scooping out fresh pumpkin and freezing for breads later on. What kind of bean is that? Wow! I must come by for a Sunday playdate...

    ReplyDelete