Sunday, September 29, 2019

Oh Johnny

The kids were out today for roasted pork, garlic smashed potatoes, green beans and all things apple. I've been doing a big pioneer project with the kids at school. A few of them love to construct things from these block/plank things I have in class.  I decided to add some extra goodies. I let the gramerlings break it in this afternoon. Westward Ho!

After playing hard all afternoon, I broke out the apple, peeler, corer, slicer, which most of them had never seen and was great fun.
As part of our pioneer game at school, and since Johnny Appleseed was an Indiana pioneer, we celebrated him on his birthday last Thursday.  In my class we were watching blueberries and grapes lose their matter from the sun's energy in the window.  I told the kids that folks dried apples in order to keep them through the winter.  Now we have technology to get the job done faster in a dehydrator. 
So they cored, peeled and sliced away.
I wanted to do the same with my own kids. 
 







 It is intriguing enough to watch the peel come off and go on and on, perfect for snacking.

 But then you pull it off and the core is gone and a big apple spiral is all that is left.

 Fascinating. Then you take it to Pap to go in the dehydrator.


Then I asked for a favor.  When I moved to second grade, I wanted my little ones to have a real service project, an ever learning project. I decided a school garden would be ideal. 
Little did I know.  I started it as Lowe's began to mark down perennials, having no idea we'd get almost no rain at all this summer after the torrential days of rain we had in June.  My little second graders have toted and toted water and Handy Man and I on the weekends.  I asked if on their way out they would stop by school and lend a hand to the weekend watering.  My back is not appreciating all I've tried to do. Nice to have good help. 


 It is interesting to me how tiny it looks, when in fact, there are fifty plants in there.

 My second graders are going to invite the other classes to come out in turn and learn about seed dispersal, so I'm trying hard to keep it blooming till then.
Thankful for a day of play and good food. Love the Johnny Appleseed.
Oh the Lord's been good to me,
and so I thank the Lord,
for giving me the things I need,
the sun and rain and apple seed,
Oh the Lord's been good to me.
Did you know Johnny primarily grew cider apples?
Come on Rain!





No comments:

Post a Comment