Tuesday, November 13, 2012

2012 Veteran's Day

Veteran's Day fell on Sunday this year, and since my kiddos help prepare the breakfast the day before, we held our celebration today.
I've done this eight years now.  It's a bit different feel when one my own is "over there."  Ceece has a cardboard stand-up of the Captain and so "Flatam"  was in attendance.  I took the kids picture with him for their portfolios. Today when I got home, there was a little package with a book and money from him to share with my students. They will be thrilled. 
The kids love serving the men and women.  One man, a WWII veteran has attended every year, and every year he weeps through the entire program.
One of  the students is new and so it was a first for his grandma, who brought his great grandpa.  They were so sweet and went on and on about how much they enjoyed it and that it was the first event like it they'd ever been invited to.  
Our custodian was in Vietnam and earned a Purple Heart.  Folded underneath it is a letter from his Mama he's kept all these years. Be still my heart.

A little kindergartner, Missy Bugg, missing her daddy this year, but writing and spelling like a champ.
Tomorrow, a Hallmark moment.

2 comments:

  1. Such a heartwarming post. This is what America is all about. Missy Bugg is writing very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful thing to do for all of them! I hope Missy Bugg's Daddy (and all the other Daddy's) gets to come home soon!

    ReplyDelete