Saturday, July 3, 2021

 Another Woods Camp down.  The last three weeks I've spent with kiddos from 6 to 16.  Six to twelve year olds attending a reading/math camp, almost thirteen to sixteen helping, along with a teacher friend and Rae.






In the second week, I did a nature art camp with kids entering fourth and fifth grade in the afternoons.


Leaf eco-printing. 


\
And we had another Playdate on Tuesday, and I did the same cynotype printing I did with the Nature Art Camp. 














So let's suffice it to say, it's been busy around here.

There are always times I question why I do camp.  There are many reasons. One, an outdoor camp that reviews math and reading along with lots of creek play and zero worksheets is hard to come by. In fact, I don't know of any.  I do know that when kids are either behind academically, or in need of a more enriching environment than the couch, AC and a screen, it is much needed.  Two, I am not the best version of myself when I am not on a schedule and busy. Three, I love to plan educational and art experiences. This type of thing is what I do well.  Four, I want not only my own littles to come, but also want that time with my own teen helpers that aren't as easy to connect to as they once were.  

Okay, so what's the problem. I'm old and fat and tired. I have a far more energetic mind than the rest of me.  

Add to that, the Sunday night before week two (the full day with the art camp) I got stung on my toe by a wasp. A first for me. It was surprisingly painful compared to a honey bee.  I stuck my toe in baking soda paste, washed, dried, applied antihistamine gel, took  benadryl and went to bed.  When I woke up, it was red and swollen, but no biggie, so went on to camp.  I could feel every step as it was swollen enough to touch the top and bottom of my shoes.  I managed, came home, took off sock and shoe and soaked my foot in a warm epsom salt bath. Later I noticed a blister on the bottom of the top of my toe, which I thought was weird as I was stung on the backside.  More gel and to bed.  Imagine my shock when the blister grew and grew and grew until I had a shooter marble sized golden orb that was bigger than my toe. Now what?  After consulting my go-to medical gurus, all were in a agreement that I was to leave that monstrosity alone. Umm, okay, but what do a do about a shoe?  So, I wrapped that giant orb with soft bandages and wore big Crocs and hobbled.  Goodtimes.  Dr. Bill called on Thursday evening to assess the progress and said it was now time to say so long to my fabulous toe ring. Ugh.  I wrapped it again Friday morning and prayed a prayer that the deed would happen without my intervention. It did, praise the Lord.   Now, I have this lovely toe trying to grow a new hide, and the directions we're still to leave it alone and let it dry. So it was sandals with not the best support for the rest of camp. 

We also had some nasty weather predictions, so always Mother Nature to deal with at an outdoor camp. Mostly, thank the Lord, we had absolutely amazing weather.  I am so grateful for that. 

Generally these days, I find people on the receiving end less than grateful.  While it is something I do well, it is a lot of work, planning and hauling supplies.  The campers were in constant flux, "Oh, I didn't tell you he wasn't coming this week?"  Or not replying at all to e-mail updates and pictures, really, you can't even say, "Thanks for the update about my kid."  I'm talking about 90 percent not responding.  How have we come to live in a world where we think we're owed everything?  I think back to my children's activities and how I was endlessly thanking folks who took an interest in them.  Fuss and bother. 

But, I did get to see most of my Gramerlings everyday for all or some of the  three weeks, which I loved. I did, in just three weeks, see some kids blossom from lack of test and worksheet anxiety. I saw many grow in measurement,  and geometry, etc.  skills.  I got to have lunches and shopping date with my sweet helpers that otherwise wouldn't  have happened.  So, I'll try to focus on that. 

For 4th of July weekend, the weather today was perfect.  I worked outside all morning long on things I've neglected the last three weeks. 

I reminded myself that I need to harvest flowers regularly. Oftentimes I let them be because I just love looking at them, and I don't want to bother the pollinators. Last year though, a lot of the tall things fell over when rains were heavy, and broke off. I didn't want that to happen, so once a week I gather a bunch and the plants are definitely bushier.  I love to make and share flower arrangements.  Gwen and Tim hosted a pool party at their place this evening, so I took the red, white and blue one on the left to her. 



My muse, Tasha Tudor, said if you can't afford everything you want for the garden, buy what you can of one thing to make a show. Last summer, stuck at home during the pandemic, I did something I had not done before.  Ordered myself several David Austin roses.  When three of the plants came last year, they were so small and the ones that came in spring were bare root, so I really didn't imagine getting many flowers.  Well, I have. They are just gorgeous.


I've never grown many lillys until Lilli-Bugg was old enough to plant them with me.  I also ordered lilly some bulbs last summer. My word, this gal is as big as my face and smells like Tahitian vanilla.

I just love playing in my flowers.

Have a safe and happy holiday weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot love this more!!! I'm so bummed I wasn't able to be a part, but alas, I had other important things that had to get done. VBS this weekend, yay! So glad you have had such a wonderful summer so far!

    ReplyDelete