Thursday, February 13, 2020

The Crazy Life

Oh, where to start?  I went down yesterday morning to do my before work check-in and the nurse said he'd had a good night. At least no falls like the night before, requiring a CT scan. I suppose that started my mind going back to the nightmare that ensued when Kaye hit her head.  But, she added, he was up and down all night going to the bathroom. Huh?  I went into the room and asked Jimi if he'd had a lot to drink and he said no and anyway it just felt that way, nothing happening.  Ummm, UTI! So I headed back to the nurse to say I wanted a urinalysis. She proceeded to give me a big smile along with some startling, ahem, information- "Oh, he had dialysis, and when you have dialysis they take off water ( oh, is that what they are doing) so they might think they have to go, but they don't. "  Well, I didn't get arrested, but I did say, "The dialysis is not new, the frequency is, do the urinalysis."  The nurse coming on said she'd get right on that.  They brought in the bladder scanner and clearly the bladder not emptying.  I came back at 5 and still no specimen, so I ushered Jimi into the restroom and that was taken care of.  This morning I come into to a new bag, an antibiotic, what a surprise.
So they said he had to have another scope and it would be at two today.  So I made arrangements to be there.  Got a call at 8:45 that they were doing it right now, which of course they didn't, but not knowing that had to speedily get coverage for my class and wasn't back until lunch for a ten minute scope. They found nothing else, but plan to try and lower the pressures internally to help staunch the flow. He has now had over 2 liters of blood.
He got to dialysis late, so I ran to the grocery after work, it is so cold, even frozen stuff wouldn't be disturbed and got groceries and some things for Valentine's Day for him to give his boys, or a kind soul and it all came rushing back.  Kaye and Glenda both were in ICU on this same day. I remember taking Glenda a bag of Russel Stover hearts to give to her littles.  It is Kaye and Pete's anniversary too.  I was just too sad.
But, Rae met me there with Gideon and that helped. After everyone left and Jeopardy was over, we got a bath.  Jimi always smelled like Dove soap, so I got some.  It is my first experience with a brother needing the kind of care he does.  I've been surprised that he's let me help as much as he has.
I work hard to protect his dignity. Still, I can't imagine how he feels.  Oh my.
Handy Man is making the rounds, filing for unemployment, and all kinds of jobs.  Not much of any way to feel good about it, but he's doing the best he can.

No comments:

Post a Comment