Sunday, February 9, 2020

Kick in the Teeth

Just as school ended on Friday, I got a text from Handy Man that he had been laid off.  No warning and not an ounce of common decency from the place he poured himself into for over 40 years. Told just  a few minutes before quitting time, walked to his car as if he had committed a crime. No opportunity to even say, "Good bye," to his co-workers.  It is so very hard for me to imagine why anyone thinks such an approach is a good idea.  I would feel better knowing that these gentlemen, who have long known him and his work ethic, will sleep poorly at night and wonder when what goes around comes around to them, but I know there seem to be folks who relish being a complete jerk.
  I hate it for him. He's not ready to retire, so I also hate that he'll go back to low man on the totem pole with a week's vacation.  But, there are worse things, and maybe the Lord has a job more suited to him in store.  I sure hope so.
This care taking job can sure take the stuffing out of you.  Uncle Jimi is still losing blood and they just don't know how or why.  He had an abdominal CT scan today that did not reveal a probable cause. He was back to being disgusted about the whole thing and wanting to go home.  He did better today than he has been eating and I think is getting some sleep in fits and starts.  He's moved to the little couch bed. Oh my. I thought my eighteen days on that last year were miserable, but he seems to find some comfort there.
I went early to take his coffee and see him through the CT scan, then came home to try and pull off our Valentine Playdate.  I didn't get to do what I usually do, but no one seemed to notice.
 When Mr. Smiley came in, Pap was still helping me hang hearts and he said his Pappy was "decoratying."
 When I sent the troops the marching orders for February, I mentioned that they could exchange Valentines and my favorite Valentine was Russel Stover's.
Rae said artisan sourdoughs with cherries trumped candy. True that. It was so good. Jordan left off the bread and brought a box of Schimff's Candies- Sweet.
 Ahh, my happy place, feeding smiling faces round the table.
 The Captain has a new business- seamless gutters, and we received a set for Christmas.  Mr. Smiley is in his glory in a work truck and told me all about how the guttering was done.
 That's Bean on the roof.
 Rae knows a tune is a balm for me. Some old hymns and Ceece jumping in.
Then I fixed supper to take to Jake and Jimi.  Jimi wants to trim his hair and beard, and it needs it, so I moved a chair into the bathroom and got him in there, and the trimmers wouldn't work. I know nothing about hair or beard trimming.
I'm too tired to wonder what next week has in store, for Jimi, for Handy Man, for me.  Would love some prayers that the Lord makes all these crooked places straight.
I also want to get the pictures here of the birthday outing.
I was gifted this book by Gardner E. and was so smitten by its simplicity, yet depth, that I took it along to share. I would love to give every one a copy.
Biscuit Belly was good, but it is crowded and quite a stand in line wait.


 I loved making a terrarium.


No comments:

Post a Comment