Tuesday, March 23, 2021

The Morning After

 As they say, "This Ain't My First Rodeo."  Things have just been a whirlwind for  the last couple of weeks. The whirlwind has died down to a whisper- "He is really gone." 

All the busyness has kept me distracted.  And always, as I discovered with Daddy 21 years ago, there is a lot of joy in spending time with people you haven't seen in a long time, and meeting new people who had an appreciation for the life of someone you loved.

My sister's and I were apprenticed at the school of Juanita Party Central and each of us can sling hash, man a pair of scissors and tape, and give orders like a boss, and we did.  

Then the husbands and their kids and my kids and many others all pitched in to help pull off a big picnic. 

I wasn't sure the no rain prediction was going to hold as big dark clouds continued to roll around in the sky, but sure enough, for March, it was a perfect evening.  Thank the Good Lord, again!

I believe he would have been tickled pink by his kith and kin, all sporting bandanas with his name on them, and saying kind, sweet and funny words about him.





My only heartbreak is that two of the biggest pieces of his heart were left out due to Covid. So, we'll have another smaller family affair after they have recovered. 

Did you join in the grieving and the celebrating in any way?  If I didn't get to say so, "Thank you."  

I enjoyed visitors who stopped in during the day.

As I've chronicled here, Gardener E. has an amazing woodland garden and is my source for all things shade.  She came and  brought plants to get his creekside garden going. 

This took lots of arranging and rearranging to get it to work.  Very scary on the back, with a roll of masking tape pieces, as the wind would make quick work of all of our efforts throughout the day. 


Lots of good food.  

Jimi's friend Robin led the way sharing sweet memories of her 50 year friendship with Jimi.


My sweet Antebellie blew us all completely away with a favorite medley of Jimi's.  I hope I am able to later add a link to it.  You know for crying purposes and such.
I did the eulogy and our friend, "Rev Dave."  Wrapped it up with a few more memories and a prayer. 


The guitar pickers played a tune and we headed to the creek.


My girls Rae and Gwen, had a great idea to toss something in the creek, so, thanks again to Gardener E., I have a plethora of hellebores, also known as lenten roses.  We tossed in a bloom with a memory, to float lazily along that little creek.  And sent some lanterns heavenward as well.  






I have lots more pictures to post as I will will look at all of Jimi's people's faces again and again in the coming days.  Now, I need to pack up and head south to hold to another grieving heart. 
I end with this picture of Mr. Smiley, in his ovie alls and bandana, who was not at all smiley, sitting right here along the creek where he and Uncle Jimi often sat, with this little broken heart.  


No comments:

Post a Comment