Friday, March 19, 2021

Let's Go for a Swim!

 In a salty sea.

I went to work all week, a good distraction, but you know, it doesn't actually work, because when the papers are graded, the report cards all made, the plans hobbled together for when I return, the big hole is still there, waiting for you to fall in.

While I very literally have dozens of things that really do need doing, I'm just not able this morning to face them.  

Instead, I just scroll back through the years.

Jimi often commented that our relationship was my doing.  While the want to was there, he just didn't manage to get things done. If I had not pursued him, he said he sure would've missed out on a lot of life.

So, why did I?  Well, when I did turn his focus to something else. He did it with all his might.

My first Knight in Shining Armor valued perfection,

And each of my children and, in turn,  their children,

Were thought to be perfect.

How can any Mom or Gramerly not appreciate that?


That came about once with a new experience for me- a grandboy.   I aspired to grow up and be a mom.  That happened when I was young and as soon as I knew my last ones arrived, I turned my thoughts to being grandma.   The Major and Ceece were young, and so was I when that little Bean arrived on the scene. Even though I had been looking forward to this for years, I was not prepared for the love I felt for that tiny boy.  Was it magnified by the fact that we nearly lost him before we hardly got to know him at 3 days old.  I don't know. I just know he was absolutely all that as far as I was concerned. 


Ceece was blessed to be able to take him to work for a time and Oma, Opa, Leesh, Rae, the Major and I took turns keeping  him the rest of the time.  Then came a time when we needed some extra childcare.  Jimi wasn't working, as his medical problems were starting.  I asked if he thought he could manage keeping the baby a couple of days a week.  He took that on for my sake. But as he said, he ended up loving that slice of life. 


Not only did he do that, but he had a little camera that went along with them. He would take Bean's picture and make prints for me.


Photographically speaking, they are not great pictures. Maybe not to anyone but me. This was before cell phone pictures, and Jimi only had a pocket camera.   In addition, I could not get my scanner to work today, so I went outside and took pictures of the pictures.  


I think these pictures speak to his character.















He would dress him up and stroll him all over downtown.  Soon Bean was sporting a bandana just like Uncle Jimi.  Jimi had a bad back and would grunt a little when he would had to step up on something. So did Bean.

I wish I had a picture of the bucket Jimi made him.  You know those five gallon buckets. They make tool belt sort of things to go on them and Bean's had every safe gadget known to man in those pockets. 


Not only did he take the pictures, but would remember Bean, who didn't talk for along time, 

actions about all their adventures.


His love and care of that gramerling was a gift beyond price to me. 



1 comment:

  1. seems like a lifetime ago. I love these pictures so much and the reminder about the grunting. <3

    ReplyDelete