Friday, March 12, 2021

Home James

 My, what a day!

I begin to think he was never going to be home.  As he seemed to be declining, Hospice got the hospital bed there last night. Teresa got there, hoping for him an early ride home this morning. When all systems were go, the hospitalist came in and said he could not leave with the thoracic port. That has just now occurred to you? Okay, remove it and call transport. Oh no, it must be removed in surgery and that can't be done until three.  Please say you are kidding?  Then, at 2:50 they changed their minds and said he could go.  What?  You cannot make this up. It took three and half hours to get transport.  Bless his heart.  So completely ridiculous to  treat someone this way. So, as the sun was about to set, he finally made it. 

He was so happy to be home, in his room.  He said he wants to watch old Andy Griffith and Gunsmoke all day long. It was hard to leave.  I didn't have to, but his boys had matters in hand it seemed.  When Aunt Tish and I left, he held our hands and that was the first emotion from him I've seen.  I asked him was he sad and he said, "No, I am happy."  

He has some moments where he sees things I can't see.  I was feeding him supper and he said, "Where'd you get that ol' tobackky?"  I said, "Why do you think I have tobacco?'  He replied, "Because you're smoking."  I assured him I wasn't smoking and he quipped, " Bag your pudding'"  He almost never gets so low as to not have a funny come back. 


Jimi has lived so far beyond most mere mortals, surviving a never before heard of potassium level of 11 six years ago and equally impressive hemoglobin of 2.9. If you aren't familiar with those levels it might be because you're dead.  So, I don't know how long he'll be with us.  I just want him warm, and comfortable and, well happy.

Many prayers have been prayed and many answered. Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment