Sunday, July 25, 2010

Beautiful Garden Bounty

The garden and chickens are in full production and I feel as if most every meal is fit for a Queen. Eggs from happy chickie girls, heirloom tomatoes, pesto from my jungle basil and cold-pressed olive oil, cucumbers, fried corn, well you get the idea.
I'm afraid I fall victim to hurrying and will run by a fast food place just to save time. Of late, I can't wait to get home, and will make two trips to be able to partake of sumptuous garden fare for lunch-so very fine.
Handy Man and I spent the morning clearing a path through the small deep dark forest in preparation for our Civil War Reenactment on Playdate. At ten thirty I was soaking wet. It is so, so hot. Well, at least we know there are no evil ground bees to contend with on the battle grounds.
So, what does your garden grow?
I was asked for the Gak recipe. It is colored water ( 1 tablespoon), mixed with white glue (1 tablespoon) and borax solution. It's easiest if you get a jar with a no spill lid and add the borax to hot water until it no longer dissolves. Stir two tablespoons of that into your water glue mix and waa-laa, Gak. Put the lid back on the solution, out of reach of wee folk and it's ready for another day (after shaking vigorously). Borax is a laundry additive and can be found in the detergent section of major grocery stores. It is an irritant, so use caution with littles. In my classroom, the students use safety goggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment