Saturday, December 5, 2020

Some Christmas in Spite of the Pandemic

 I'm often asked how e-learning is going.  Mostly I say, "It's going, I guess."  I finally figured out that it is just awkward.  Do you go on when a storm blows through and the electric is out?  Of course you do.  But every last thing you do likely has to be rethought because your old habits don't work without electricity.  So, because we have families with 3-5 kids, who don't have individual electronics or  enough internet power, the grades take turns doing live lessons.  3rd grade does two and I do an additional recorded video. I currently have more video footage of my old, fat face than ever I dreamed or imagined. Then, because I thought we would be back next week, I started recording the book Kringle because my kids wanted me to do that book, for our December read aloud. It is three hundred pages. No way could I cut out a week.  Well, now they aren't coming back so I get to do thirty videos ( only my voice, so it doesn't matter what my face looks like at least).  

When I started at this school, seventeen years ago, I was thrilled to get to do Christmas from the perspective of my faith, as well as the usual Santa, elves, etc.  So really I did Christmas big.  Due to that, I've just done what I had to do at home because I ended up being exhausted.  So the days at school are still exhausting for a different reason.  Worrying about kids not getting what they need. Trying to get ahead with videos so they are up and on Google Classroom and ready, then trying to figure out what day it is today and what I am supposed to now.  Also, this is the first time I've taught 3rd grade, so figuring out what am doing, as I don't have resources at the ready.  But, nearly no Christmas to be done year. So I've been surprised to get home and want to do some Christmas things.  I haven't wrapped pretty presents in years, since the wrapping usually happens a few hours before it is ripped off.  I happened to buy a lot of books for gifts this year and just had a big time wrapping them.

When I was a little girl, I loved those gaudy, sparkling corsages ladies wore on their long wool coats.  I think I was recreating that memory with these all aglitter packages.  Then when the tree lights reflect on them, it is just right.  Sift the joy friends. 









So, the question we face at every turn- What to do about these long held traditions, when  childhood is already so short? We did Thanksgiving outside and the temp was very bearable. A week ago the outlook for today was not so great, rain/snow, cold. First, I moved the time to later in the day.  I prayed all week for some sunshine and thank the Good Lord, it was a beautiful today. I think we've had so many freezing nights and cold days  now that we're all a bit more used to it. 

We had one of those patio heaters and a fire, but the kids were perfectly fine.  Lots of hot chocolate with whipped cream, peppermint sugar, cinnamon sugar and marshmallows for the top. Hot coffee and cider too. 

Yes, it was a bit different.  Gloved adults fixed candy plates, names on the plates with little houses, marked mugs and no sharing. Everything touched in the trash of course.  

I didn't anticipate a visit by Jimi, after his weekend in the hospital last week and dialysis today, but  he made it. We parked him right by the heater and reminded the kids to keep their distance. Never in my life have a I known a person who repeatedly goes so low, then bounces back again.  

Since all the great upgrades, my pictures never load in order anymore, and I don't have the energy to fix them. So this isn't just like it happened in real time.  

This green thing sends a pocket of air forward, for no reason except it is funny.


My Mom's little dog Angel that Jordan has lovingly cared for when she was no longer able to. 





Ceece and the teens cracked me up playing beauty shop with the voluminous hair of some our fellers. 






I used to tell my many nephews that they had to come to the Gingerbread House Party until they had a child of their own to bring.  Jakester wins the prize for compliance to Aunt Kimberly's dictates.  This time he brought a sweet friend. 
My teens were the photographers for some of the pictures.  I throughly enjoyed them enjoying themselves today!

















I had my parents bring back my student's work yesterday and pick up the work for the next two weeks.  I went through the two week's work with each child. So I was at work, mostly standing on concrete for eleven hours yesterday. By nine o'clock last night, when I finished the houses, I was sure doubting why I still do this as somehow, I don't quite have the energy I had when I started this thirty plus years ago.  But today, today was perfect to me. Everyone seemed to have such a good time.  Much gravy, biscuits, hash brown, cinnamon rolls and candy were enjoyed. 

It was sweet in a multitude of ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment