Friday, December 25, 2020

A Move to Christmas Eve

 Merry Christmas everyone.  I didn't do much in the way of cards, but did provide a commemorative ornament for those who live close.  It carries a message I surely wish for everyone. 



My heartfelt wish for you this season 

Is the only Covid you'll be seeing,

Is trapped inside this tiny ball,

And won't be bothering you at all. 

We started Christmas Eve with brunch on the porch.

Creme Brûlée French Toast

Sausage Egg Casserole

Ham 

Brown Sugar Bacon

Biscuits

Apple Salad and a fruit salad

Coffee, hot chocolate and hot cider 

and Rae's speciality.

Next was a journey of the Jesse Tree.

Gwen took us all the way back to creation of this wondrous world. 

Tim reminded us of forbidden fruit.

Rae shared of the promise of Abraham with a toss of stars to count. 

Michael and Isaac's ram, a way of escape. 

Buttercup with Jacob's ladder

BlueEyes with Joseph's  multi-colored coat

Giddy-Up with Ruth's wheat, the grandmother of Jesse.

Buttons with David's sheep and crown.

Mr. Smiley with Mary, the Mother of Jesus
Our littlest sprite with Tim and a sign of peace, referencing the Elizabeth and the Holy Spirit

And lastly, Joseph, Mary's helpmate. I took this opportunity to share with the gramerlings that yes, I had lots of creative ideas, but they would never happen without someone doing some heavy lifting and Pap was my Joseph.

So over the river and through the woods to Bethlehem, where we found the babe, wrapped in swaddling clothes.  We sang our favorite carols.

 We then gathered more wood for the fire and made our way back. 

Time to open presents.










First I replenished drinks and brought out the caramel and fudge tray.

Later I brought out the a charcuterie tray.

Lastly- marshmallows.

I never, in a million years, imagined we'd make it all day outside when it was less than 28 degrees, but the kids played and Pap with help from the kids sometimes, carried half the woods to fire. I brought out more drinks and blankets and we just visited and talked about everything under the sun.

The boys enjoyed axe lessons from Uncle Tim.






As the sun started to disappear, the cold finally sent  us separate ways.
It was such a cold, fun, big  day.  
Two things- though I enjoyed the usual Sunday before with a third of my kids and grands, I missed them today.  And then Jimi, hospitalized again, unresponsive and not making good progress.  Oh my. I will head back down in the morning to check on him.
Aunt Tish will host us for Christmas lunch, while she's caring for brother Tim, post surgery. In addition, I'll deliver another package for two of bread, candy and ornaments. 
The amount of folks this week who will be missing that special someone, lost to Covid, is hard to wrap my mind around.  Ceece, figuring out the holidays with a central figure gone- heartbreak and joy all around.  The great Lord of peace, who we celebrate, please scatter that peace in good measure.
Merry Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment