Thursday, July 16, 2020

July's Garden

You know the old saying, " A watched pot never boils."  Well, it has felt that way in the garden. Possibly because I go out to stare at every last thing at  least three times a day, oh since March.  It seems like it has finally come to life this last two weeks.  I still go out three times a day, but usually at least one of those times I find a little bloom that wasn't there before.  My delight as I try to fill my days.
I wasn't real sure about my decision to put the old crib, where this boy slept, into the garden beds.  I mean here, they look sort of goofy.



Boy, am I glad I did! This is from one little ol' two leaved tromboncino plant Rae and Michael gave me.


This is my favorite tomato-Costoluto Genovese. That is why I put it in the bed. You can barely even see the crib side behind it. 



And the dill and cucumbers-



I sent pictures to the bed builders telling them it was sad how poorly it all was doing.

I grew snake beans last year and saved some seeds.  I remember that they start oh so slowly, then vroom.  These are going a little slower though, than the ones off the side patio.




Probably because this shiso (perilla) was hogging the resources.


So, I found it a new place to live.

Mom's bed has just been in overdrive.
We were here in May-
 And now-

The areas around the bird bath and the old clothes line pole were pitiful.








The front garden was also fairly sparse, but has finally filled out and I love it.

 With some additional Fairy Ball accoutrements .

 Today I planted buckwheat where the cilantro and lettuce were spent.  I also did some serious deadheading and clipping to prevent the plants from getting too leggy.
Here is a sink full of the trimmings.





 The second tromboncino I picked for fried squash and a lemon cake I want to try.

I filled some jars with the flowers from the sink. 





 How does your garden grow?


No comments:

Post a Comment