Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Bits and Bobs

What a privilege to have some space to plant, and observe, wonder and think on the absolute delight of God's creation.
I will surely miss the time I've had in my yard, tending, nurturing, discovering.
I believe Miss Tasha Poppy has blessed me with her last bloom.


 I reluctantly dead headed the first two flowers, not wanting to risk not having seed pods for next year, but not wanting it to stop blooming either.
She's bloomed for a solid month,  just one flower at a time.
The seed pod is such an interesting design, to the point of being magical.  When all the petals fall you have a seed pod with a sweet crown on top.
 In order though to get the seeds out of the pod, little tiny windows open around the base of the crown for poppy seeds to exit.


When you consider that what is contained in those seeds has for centuries been a blessing and a curse, well, I stand in awe. 
Several from the wildflower mix I planted are blooming.



And tubers and other seeds I planted.





Two more plants from the seeds I brought from Vermont.


 Finally, a snake bean bloom.

 I guess I'm a slow learner.  For years I planted a bazillion dollars worth of perennials in the big garden area.  I have very little to show for that. It was a long time dawning on me that the area holds too much water and I guess it just rots roots.

I have managed to grow a little spot of peppermint, and lemon balm, a few irises and peonies.

 

 Remember when you used to get those big garden catalogs  advertising a entire perennial bed for little money.  Well, I made that purchase and they were basically little tubers and bits of root stalk, but I faithfully planted and tended them.
This hibiscus has faithfully returned for thirty years.  Funny, because hibiscus is not ever been a favorite, but the fat bumble bees would argue and I admire its tenacity.




I am steadily moving my garden closer and hopefully to a bit drier ground.


No comments:

Post a Comment