Sunday, May 31, 2020

As the World Turns

What a strange and chaotic world today.  Once again Facebook, and I'm guessing all the other ways to communicate, is aflame with love and peace and anger. One person after another calling out everybody and his brother.  I always ponder the right or wrong of choosing not to enter that fray.  It isn't because I don't have a mountain's worth of empathy, curiosity, fear and the descriptors could go on and on.  I just don't believe I have single thing to say that hasn't been said.  Not only on Facebook, but throughout the history of the world where it seems, everywhere, at most all times there were those  who seemed to have an easier path.  It does not go beyond my notice that in this case, it is me.
I do struggle with understanding the struggle.  The "Why cause?"
Why can we all just be decent human beings?
Always I question, in what ways am I part of the problem?
I rather deliberately landed at a church where people are not all white.  Turns out I became friends with a lady who is black.  Why-because she's nice and why wouldn't I?  What she looks like didn't seem to play into the friendship.
Then there's this guy-

Who according to statistics doesn't have a lot going for him.  His sweet Mama is single, doesn't speak English fluently. His neighborhood is considered a bad one.  And if his current size is any indicator he will grow up to be what he is, big and black.  I do think about it, but it is hard, because to me, he's just a sweet, funny, three year old.  How you could feel differently about him is beyond my imagination. 
Have mercy, then there is one of my many hearts that call me Gramerly-


How could I love him more, I can't.
He is exactly the same color as the others, precious. I want to give everyone my eyes to see him with so I don't have to live in fear of him growing up to be, oh I don't know, a runner, who you know runs around his neighborhood.
So why do we have these divisions?  I teach at a mostly white school, but we have always had several children who are not- Korean, Black, Chinese, Guatamalan, Philipino.  The only time it matters is when we have to check off boxes on state forms.  When I have to teach about people who have been mistreated through the years, my kids are devastated and never fail to ask why in the world you would think less of someone.  I have no good answer.
And the violence, my heart is broken for those who are hurt and for the people who's property has been destroyed.
Do I think that is the wrong way to address the problem?  Well the peacemaker part of me surely does, but the Mama in me can see how such anger can swell and find a release. It is hard to see injustice in any form and not feel anger. It is for me anyway.  Rage is ugly and has ugly consequences.  Don't we all know that?  Does raging on social media make it better.  I doubt it since people just keep right on doing what they do.
I wish there was a good and easy answer.  I wish diatribes on social media could fix this situation.  Good luck with that.
Another same type of situation in the world- drugs.
I always read a good deal, but even  more in this current  Covid situation.  I just  finished Fentanyl,  Inc. by Ben Westoff. It was eye opening and terrifying. I think it should be required reading for everyone.  In the same way, we so often hear people spout about easy answers to these problems, when I cannot see any way easy through rampant drug addiction.
Both situations beg an answer to why people can't just behave and do the right thing.
 “But the fruit of the Spirit is lovejoypeaceforbearancekindnessgoodnessfaithfulnessgentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law” ( Galatians 5:22–23 ).
Again, I have no idea how to make anyone want to respond in these ways. It is all so very heartbreaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment