Saturday, July 8, 2023

64 E Louisville

 How many times I've seen that sign, but this is the first time since June 21st.  We are settled into our 15th and last hotel on this really unbelievable adventure. 

We were on the road for 12 hours today. Our first experience with a toll road. We didn't go through a toll booth to get on, but you would routinely have to stop and pay then show your receipt when you exited. They would hand your $1.75 back, and then you'd pay it again at the next booth. We stopped at a pecan place. I had no idea they grew pecans in Oklahoma. We took a little turn off in Carthage MO to the Precious Moments Chapel. Really quite a little place out in the middle of nowhere again.  The artist really wanted to share his faith as well as his talent. It was, well, precious.  While we were sitting in the chapel, a guy got up and proposed to his girlfriend- sweet. Andrea videoed it.

Next to the Precious Moments grounds was a building of the same type, but housed a restaurant called Taste of Italy. Somehow we couldn't reconcile the Precious Moments  (middle of nowhere) chapel and grounds with a taste of Italy. But, we were hungry, and decided to check it out.  It was a big room, with plain tables, plain everything.  Oh my, it was delicious. The waitress was from Columbia and so sweet. Then the chef came out and we found out he is from New York and rents the middle of nowhere building from the Precious Moments people.  Next, in walks the couple who got engaged in the chapel. I went over and asked if they'd like us to send them the video and they seemed tickled. We took pictures with the chef and waitress, just making ourselves right at home. 

Yesterday, at Elk City, we met a friendly fellow from Fulton, Ky. I happen to know someone from Fulton KY and her brother happened to have once been married to his wife's sister. 

We stopped at place that billed itself as The World's Largest Gift Shop. It was big, my goodness, overwhelming.  Beside it was a huge candy store.  It seemed that buying my playdaters some unusual candy was a good idea. 

We sang Amarillo by Morning as we left Amarillo, How Great Thou Art in the little village church in Elk City, Grandma's Song by Gail Davies (about Oklahoma) as we exited into Missouri.  We've sang across about 16 states and almost 7000 miles.  So now I'll sing a song about this experience to the tune of the Johnny Appleseed Song. 

Oh the Lord's been good to me, 

and so I thank the Lord, 

for giving me the things I need

Traveling safe and a friend with me,

Oh the Lord's been good to me. 

True that. 

1 comment:

  1. Definitely the Lord has been good. Thanks to all who prayed for safe travels. He sure did answer in a big way!

    ReplyDelete