Saturday, April 16, 2022

Easter and Kitchen Chronicles Four

  Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice. 5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. 6Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

When Adam was gone to boot camp, and Conner was in the NICU,  and I was finishing my student teaching with the mentor from you know where, I said this verse every day.  Well, I am beyond  overjoyed that it is just my house in ICU this time around. But every job reveals another job that needs doing and Monday begins my kid's state testing. Let's just say, this will once again be my mantra. 

So as they were wrapping up the other night I asked about the door to the living room, now that the wall was gone.  Adam asked if I wanted it boarded up. Yes.  My brother quipped, "That ain't going keep the boogie man out."  I said I hadn't gotten to being concerned about the boogie man, I was concerned about waking up with a coon on my chest.  So brother, son and helper Edward all got a big kick out of that.  And the plumber came out from under the house with a box of crackers. What did I tell you?

And the next morning, something laid eggs all over the work site. 

One of them even hatched. 


Now when it comes to tools and construction, I am inept, but celebrating holidays, yeah that I have in spades. 

So, today, Day 8.  Adam is ever at the mercy of his helpers. The one who was to start on the wall, went home sick yesterday. The one who was to finish the tear-out did not show up today.  After he had shoveled wet clay for a few hours and Handy Man had carried it to the garden, both of their nerves were fraying.  Thankfully, Tim arrived on the seen and my distress call to Sir Jordan was answered. It reminded me of the scripture-And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threestrand cord is not quickly broken.




Getting that clay moved out and the gravel moved in was, in fact, doable. 

And before you is our new rubber roof that did not leak in the rain this morning. 


I really feel no good, very bad, awful that this has turned into such an ordeal. I love helping- I've sat a million hours at the hospital, cooked a million meals and thankful to God for all I'm able to do. Being in need of help is like being rolled in sandpaper. I dream of ways to pay this back.  

So, as I look to Easter morning, I am  grateful for the debt paid for me and the gift of all these strong backs. 

Wishing all good blessings to you and yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment