Saturday, February 27, 2021

A Little Bit of Mama

 If the subject of food and my Mama comes up in conversation, it is usually about biscuits, fruit cake cookies or pound cake. She was known far and wide for those tasty treats.  I found her recipe that she sent us as a Christmas gift one year in her card.  I wanted to make it.  I remember it was during the Gingerbread House Party because I used the icing recipe to make Miss Linee's gluten free  caramel rolls.  But it disappeared.  Recently Drummer Boy asked for it and I asked Aunt Tish if she had it.  So this evening I gave it a whirl.  Mama Fail. I guess my angel food cake pan was smaller. It said to cook it an hour, and I could see it wasn't done then, so went twenty minutes longer. It looked okay. I took it out and pinched off an uneven edge. Yummy!  Then I turned it out in the cake taker and it collapsed.  Ugh.  So, I just piled it back in the pan and baked it longer.


Her icing was always darker.  Did she use brown sugar, dark corn syrup?  I don't know.  This part in the picture is what I remember.  Her spooning the caramel up and over, up and over, till she got it all cooled and covered.

So it's ugly, but the cake is good and the icing too, so perhaps when it is sliced it won't look so pititful and the taste will supersede the looks. 

 Jimi continues to be in rehab, on a pureed diet, allowed no visitors as he finishes this course of antibiotics. 

Sadly, he will spend his birthday there.  If you would like to send him a  little greeting for his March 12 birthday, I'm sure he would appreciate it, as would I. 

James Hollins F5 

Lincoln Hills Rehab

326 Country Club Drive

New Albany, IN 47150

I got out for  a bit today to just look over things, scatter a few seeds that likes these mild, cool temps.  I won't be too upset if bitter cold has finished its course. 

No comments:

Post a Comment