Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Blue or Pink?

No, no one is expecting, at least none of mine that I'm aware of at the moment. I'm talking about hydrangeas. There is something about hydrangea roots that's a big draw for chickie girls. I let them scratch until I fear there is not enough earth to keep them grounded (umm, the plants). Then I put cardboard around them (that would be the plants again). Let me tell you, whatever it is those girls are doing, the hydrangeas have gone berserk.
I have searched for years to find the secret of using hydrangeas as a cut flower. Turns out you have to cut, then dip straight into boiling water, then into tepid water that covers nearly the whole stem and mist, then use in a vase.
I love to look at them on the bush, but I ended up with some gorgeous ones in the back and hidden in the bush, so I brought some inside.
White hydrangeas come on green, turn white, then back to green. I've always understood that hydrangeas of color respond to soil acidity, or lack thereof. Acidic soil gives you blue, alkaline produces pink. Okay, well these beauties came from two different bushes in two different location. The first picture from the tea house hydrangea and the second from the house yard hydrangea.
Guess some sides get more chickie girl poop.



Whatever the reason, it's okay by me. I loveeeeee them!

2 comments:

  1. I love hydrangeas. Your pictures are beautiful. I can't believe you have to dip them in boiling water? Who would even think of that? Do you know how to preserve hibiscus or magnolias? They both wilt as soon as you pick them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Shari. I understand you need to cut hibiscus and magnolias in the bud. Then try refrigerating them in the water overnight, and putting them in a vase the next day. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete