Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My Heroine

It's been awhile since I've done much chicken talk. The girls are laying well, with exception to the Easter-eggers. Not a single blue/green egg since October. We have twenty-one hens and get between 8 and 12 eggs a day.
It's hard to believe it's been two years since I first ordered the chickie-girls. It was an exciting time.

Then I asked the kids to check their sources and find me a dog. 1st Lt. found Arwen on Craig's List.
As is my usual wont, I worried myself sick over whether she'd be the Palace guard, or Palace predator. You might remember the one dreadful incident where she played with Jetta and Pap's Girl like they were squeak toys. Jetta didn't live through that game. Pap's Girl did, and continued to be quite partial to the Handy Man, but she succumbed to some unknown chickie-girl ailment last fall. Alas, we were broken hearted. Arwen has turned out to be a wonderful Palace protector. Actually, she'd be perfect, if the neighbor hadn't decided she's half his.
Today, I was trying to change the water when that hateful rooster Silver King came after me. Arwen raced in the pen and pounced him, then turned and walked away. Silver King decided he'd best leave me be. Ahh, my heroine.
So, it's been two years and Handy Man, the pooch and I have managed this chickie-girl thing pretty well. Time to shake it up. I felt the need to try and hatch some rarer types of chickens, so now I'm looking forward to eggs coming in the mail. These eggs will be quite colorful, from blue to chocolate brown.
It's a little risky, mail-ordering eggs. It's even more risky than a box of chocolates, cuz at least you know you are going to get chocolate, regardless of the center. The eggs, however aren't guaranteed to hatch, much less be hens. I'm not much of a gambler and nearly gave up on the notion. Finally, (after a Handy Man push, "Oh for Pete's sake, order the eggs")I decided since I don't generally drink, smoke, or gamble, I would give this a whirl, one time. So, I'm already praying over those eggs that aren't coming until April 11. If it happens that they all hatch out, I'll be looking for good home for a few of them. You interested? They are very entertaining and you can't beat the benefits-yummy!

3 comments:

  1. My husband and I are egg-lovers, and our cholesterol counts allow us to indulge. (I don't really believe eggs are the culprit, anyway!) Maybe we should take up raising chickens, but I'm afraid we would have to change our address first. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy your chickie adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that sounds like an interesting thing to do,wait for them to hatch. If you do have a coop load so to speak I will check with a few chicken ladies and see if they want any new "girls".We love the fresh eggs from my son's house. You're so right Yummy...and risk free too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gramerly

    I hope your mail order egg adventure works out to your benefit :-)
    No chickens allowed were I live...sorry :-(

    Take care and have a great week :-)

    ~Ron
    ******

    ReplyDelete