Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Obsessive Complusive

I have a lot of interests and when I'm interested in something, I'm really interested. If you ask my sister SueZQ, she will be happy to tell you that what I am is obsessive compulsive. She tells me that- a lot.

I do not seem, however to be interested in the things that many women folk I know place a lot of value in and on. I don't watch tv- ever. I have no clue who the latest evening soap hunk of burning love is, nor do I care to know. I am completely clueless about who is staying and who is going on islands, with dance routines, or by singing poorly. I would probably never, ever buy a new appliance if I could just talk mine in to working the rest of my life. I detest the thought of purchasing a new car. I use what little make-up I use until the latch, mirror and tiny applicator have long since disappeared, then buy almost the same exact thing when it needs to be replaced. I wear my clothes out. And, I'm ashamed to admit that when my first 35mm camera died and could not be restored to its original vigor, I cried.

Sounds boring to me. Currently, my obsess.. oops, I mean interest is this lovely little plant.

This is Swiss Chard, if you didn't know, and I grew it from a small, brown, knobby bit called a seed. I find myself quite enamored. I had only ever heard of this green from my mother-in-law when I was much younger. Then last year, at the Farmer's Market, it was everywhere. A chef was there one day, and made some up and I tried it and liked it. I didn't think much more about it until time for garden planning this winter. I tried to purchase most of my seed from places that concern themselves with heirloom type seeds. For fun, I decided to look up the nutrients, thinking surely this green wasn't worth much or they'd sell it in the store. I was shocked I tell you, shocked. This little beauty is a nutrition power house. It is easy to grow. When you cut it, it comes back, and even winters over if protected. You can saute it, boil it, eat it raw- hey, what more could you want? I don't want anymore, though some people might want it to plant, harvest and cook itself. Dirt diggin' is a favorite past time of mine, so I'm all good with the planting.
What really amazes me though, is how that littlest brown, dried-up, knobby bit knows exactly how to take from the soil what's needed to produce such a wholesome plant. How's it know? I'm intrigued.
Don't you wish we knew how to mine our environment to produce the best of ourselves? I think it's in us to do so, but I sure do find it difficult sometimes.
Have you eaten your Swiss Chard today?

No comments:

Post a Comment