Thursday, March 24, 2022

Doing the Deed, The Kitchen Deed

 Though this has been on our minds for quite a few years now, I wasn't sure it was ever going to happen.  Our kitchen has had some water damage and has slowly been falling apart.  



My fear of coming home and finding the side of my house caved in was growing by the day. Before we got to the kitchen, the furnace was screaming louder, so the savings went there, but  I did start trying to figure out what we were up against.  The Major Roof Man son of mine said the lid had to come off, a partial wall come down and floor come up. Oh, is that all?  Thank God for him, because all I have to do is  pick out cabinets, and pack this ol' place up and figure out how I'm going to feed us without a kitchen.  And that has about pushed me right over the edge. Of course, the time to do it would come just after prices were jacked over the moon from the pandemic.  I finally went last year and got a quote and the cabinets were only going to be about 15 times what we paid last time.  For one thing, there are so many choices. For another thing, I live in a an ol' tumbledown farmhouse-what sense does it make to stick a million dollar kitchen on the side of it?  So another year has come and gone with us saving like crazy and trying to figure what we can and can't live with.  At least I think. Those goofy little squares that are supposed to show you what it is going to look like make me crazy.  I can't see what something is going to look like until I see it. Ugh. I'm telling you this stuff is not in my wheelhouse. Just these last few days the plan is finally coming together. I ordered a Pod, the Major is assembling a demolition crew and tonight it really came home as I started trying to determine the least amount of pot, pan, fork, etc. that could get me through. 




Handy Man can't do much till the sorting is done, so he decided to clean out the change bucket. It hasn't been touched since we cleaned it out eight years ago to go into Rae's adoption fund.  Probably buy quite a bit of  hardware. 




And as usual, the emotional part. Cleaning out the junk drawer I found the list I made of do's and don'ts when Mom was spending her last days earthside. Of course, my stomach started to hurt, tears, you know the drill I'm guessing. That bar I'm taking apart has held food  for the masses for 36 years. I decided I wasn't parting with it as it came with the house and will become an island. 

 I know the world is in such a mess. A new kitchen in the face of wars and pandemics is laughable, but if  you want pray for wisdom, safety for the workers, and things that work and go together, it won't hurt my feelings. 


We had a good time celebrating Jimi on his birthday/anniversary weekend. I didn't think to get the picture till after Aunt Tish left. 



No comments:

Post a Comment