Sunday, October 31, 2021

Old Man Autumn

 This popped up on FB this week- Old Man Autumn by Christopher Bell 

It startled me.  I've had Jimi on my mind, well even more than usual.   He loved trees and sticks and the kids at Halloween. Of course, he always had a walking stick in his big hand.  Those look just like his eyes looking at me. 

He would have loved that costume.  

Actually, this is a better pick from the Gingerbread House Party- With his stick.


Of course, November has become the Patron Month of Lost Mothers. Mine, Ol' Mother Hubbard's (who was a mother to me) and Ceece's.  

Someone near and dear to me has had cancer return for the third time in a different place.  Boo Hiss.

Another beloved friend had a successful heart transplant, but has endlessly battled one awful infection after another. 

My job is really a challenge this year. And like your life, a few more other things. 

So, cry me a river, then sift the joy. 




Last Sunday, after dinner, I had the boys help me clean out my pin box.  I've never been much of a jewelry person. I settled on pins for a little bling.  A  walk down memory lane. 

Last night, Ol' Mother Hubbard held her annual Halloween party.  There were pirates and glamour girls and lots of good food and fun.  Aunt Tish's friend John and Timothy played and sang. 







I haven't spent my normal amount of time in the garden since Ol' Maple fell and killed a bunch of stuff. Old Man Autumn will really present himself this week, as we are getting close to our first frost.
Rae shared that coleus and a few other flowers could be cut and put in water to root and grow through the winter. I absolutely love coleus in the front garden bed.  This was in early summer. 


Looks a little different now. 


The nasturtiums have hit their stride.

This crazy thing was new to me this year- a popcorn plant. It does smell just like movie popcorn, but I didn't think it was ever going to show the popped corn blooms.  
I was wrong.

Even when they've drooped their heads, I enjoy sprinkling petals. 


Ahh, the hardest thing to part with.  Fried green tomatoes one last time.  Yum. 

I've tried and tried to find a plant to grow all over the little tea house.  Rae grew this little vine from seed and it very nearly got the job done. 



Gardener E. gifted me with a couple of new plants, so I got them settled in before the cold hits.  We've had some good rains and the  ground was great for transplants.  Not much left to do garden wise. I want to put in a few garlic and pull the dahlias after the frost.  That will wrap it up for 2021.
Happy Fall ya'll. 


1 comment:

  1. Love seeing all of your pretties...and that popcorn plant, wow! I didn't know about those. So long, October...see you next year, Lord willing.

    ReplyDelete