Saturday, July 1, 2017

So Long Sweet June

Today was our last June Playdate. I always have to swallow that lump lodged in my throat when I turn the page to July.  It was a full to the top last week of June for me.
Last Thursday,  excavating in the creek continued.  Giddy-up wanted one of the those brachiopods and I kinda of wanted one too.  I was thinking how cool it would be for all the chicklets to have one from the Playdate creek.  So, as we were looking and looking, I found myself whispering a prayer for just such a find.  Then guilt came in and my heart questioned my mind, "Really, people are having all sorts of awful issues to deal with in life and you are praying for a fossil? "  So, as I enjoyed the breeze and blue skies I prayed for those people I know who are in need.  For whatever reason, on this day, my mom's dear friend Mary, who was a dear friend to me as well, came to mind.  Sadly, she left us long ago, but I still have contact with her children, so I begin praying for each of them while I was chipping away at an interesting blob, that soon revealed a brachiopod.  Soon after a voice behind me, "Gramerly, I think I found one."  Sure enough, the biggest one we've discovered so far, discovered by Giddy-Up.

I attended an Orton-Gillingham training in Indianapolis the first four days of this week.  It was one of the more intense trainings I've ever attended.  No "break the ice," "find a different partner," just get down to business learning how this crazy language we speak works.  Whew.  It is one of those things you are glad to know, but not my favorite way to spend my summer days.  The days were certainly sweeter when evenings were spent with friends who take you in and make you right at home.
Uncle Jimi made a comment as we were reflecting on Playdate. He said, "I have never known such a group of great mamas."  I have to agree as I watch these youngsters grow and bloom.  Though my Sarah doesn't get to be a part of Playdate, she certainly can be counted amongst the great mamas.  I always love spending time with this family and every time I wish they were close enough to be a part of Playdates.
I came home Thursday with a sore hip from endless sitting and an equally sore brain from all that thinking.  Thankfully, Handyman had things in hand so Playdate could happen.


Our Kate was up to her armpits in alligators, so Ol' Mother Hubbard took watch and let her get some things done.  Ol' Henry helped- so handsome.

Big ones with little ones all around.

 Today, Miss Linee took her turn in the Storyteller's chair and did an excellent job.
 Time to create fairies.  I cannot express how dear it is to me that we are able to leave generalized notions of how things should be at the door.  Boys want to make dolls too. And you better believe those sweet girls want their turn at Uncle Jimi's coveted tools.






 When I look at this picture, I remember that these boys are a different color.  They have absolutely no idea.
 The play just goes on, big and little, black and white, boy and girl.


 I'm so glad I caught this pose. He does this little left foot, right foot prance when he's happy.  Usually we are in the creek when Pap pulls in and Pap walks down to say, "Hello." When Mr. Smiley saw him, he yelled, "Pap," big grin, then the dance accompanied with a sing song, "How you been, how you been."  That just makes me laugh.




Dear friend Deb stopped in for a bit to watch her sweetie grands play.

 She was there for the big event- June Bugg caught a ten pound fish!  You know, it is the same difference to her.  Right then, there could have been no greater catch.  How blessed I am to see the excitement and wonder.  On this side of things, knowing how quickly this time of intense wonder passes, I try to soak it up.

 Andrea came to visit with lots of goodies from her garden-yummo!
 Uncle Jimi and his beloved tools, were central to the archaeological dig.



 Mr. Smiley unearthed the best find of today.
If feeding this crew in the kitchen is wild and crazy, feeding them around a fire is more so.  Consequently, by the time I could pick up the camera and focus, they had already eaten and flown the coop for just a little bit more play.  Bean and Bugg were missing, off on a swimming adventure, so no one to be snapping, but there was a fire and lots of eating.

 Pap discovered a fruiting paw-paw.  Wow, where did that come from?

 This truck, rocks and the remains of a dinosaur dig were the last play spot of the day.  Giddy-up never turns loose of the day easily, even when he is the last Playdater standing.

Grateful.

4 comments:

  1. I love reading about the adventures at Playdate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It always feels like an adventure by the end of the day!

      Delete
  2. sad to have missed last weeks! the post cards were a fun find before we left for out of town though. <3

    ReplyDelete